14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 12:10 PM by Stephen Huston

IWP Global and Variables

msbertrand

Using Server 2008 R2 - FM Server Advanced V1

On my original attempt to install updater V2, IWP globals and variables were no longer working and I was forced to roll back to FM Server Adv V1.

Today I installed updated FM Server V3, same issue and I now need to roll back to V1 again. I posted this issue in August (or around August 2012), is anyone looking at these post?

I consider this a 'very' serious issue because it make IWP unsable, can anyone help or give any update on this issue?

Regards MSB

• 1. Re: IWP Global and Variables

I have not seen that problem in FMSA 12v1, 2, or 3, for either a Mac or Windows server.

Can you elaborate on "IWP globals and variables were no longer working"?

• 2. Re: IWP Global and Variables
            Stephen Huston

Yes, please more details of exactly what's not working.

Remember that your interface is a browser application, not FMP, some some functionality is going to be different.

• 3. Re: IWP Global and Variables
              msbertrand

Tks for the reply.

Rel Database.jpgAcc Script P1.jpgAcc Script P2.jpgView Shipment.jpg

First I use IWP to share 'one' file among web users.

I use 'dynamic' link to host the IWP page.

The file is used to capture shipment data from remote customers that wish to use a transport services for delivery.  The file is a 'single shared' file but authenticate and restricts users to see 'only' data they are allowed to view/access/modify.

For example, a 'location' table (same file) filter address created by the 'customer account' used to login, yet includes 'all' address created by all users from the same account.  (One login account can have unlimited of users (client connection)).

The 'opener' setups a variety of global fields on open that are later on used for differents reasons.

Another example, 'shipments' entry access is limited to 'login account' only, to maintain privacy and security.

Using FM Server Advance V1, always worked.  Update to V2, had to roll back.  Updated to V3, same and had to roll back again.

I have attached some images to help.  What prompt me to believe something is not behaving properly in both updates, it always works when rolling back to V1.

Thank you for the help, MSB

• 4. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                msbertrand

Hi Scott,

I have added more details to my post.  If you want access or a copy of the file, I can do that too.

Regards, and tks for the help, and Merry hoho.

MSB

• 5. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                  msbertrand

Hi Stephen,

I have added more details to my post.  If you want access or a copy of the file, I can do that too.

Regards, and tks for the help, and Merry hoho.

MSB

• 6. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                    msbertrand

Hi Stephen,

I provided details, anyone is looking at this?

Tks

• 7. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                      msbertrand

Any luck?  I added details and noone is replying..

Tks

• 8. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                        ch0c0halic

Unfortunately the resolution of three of these images is so low I cannot tell what the scripts are doing. The last one I can see but its out of context so I don't know what its doing either.

Please add a PDF printout of the scripts involved, noting the starting script, and describe what it is supposed to be doing.

I suggest:

1. double-checking the script steps to make sure they are all IWP compatible.

2. add logging steps to store values at specific parts of the script. For example before calling a subscript first record the variables into the logging table with the calling script and subscript to be called.

3. Add a logging variable to the begining/end of each script to store the name of the script, any variables passed into the script, starting values of any variables used in the script, starting values of any fields expected to change. Be sure this variable is always added to with a timestamp to see the progression of values and scripts.

4. Store the logging variable into the logging file at the end of the script. If a script uses an Halt Script be sure to store logging variable before the Halt.

• 9. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                          msbertrand

Tks for the suggestion, I will look into it, and add PDF of my files.  Yet, I still can't figure out why it works in FM S Adv V1, event when I roll back. 

Regards

• 10. Re: IWP Global and Variables

I'm still not sure what is not working. That can mean so many things. Do the users get access to records that are not supposed to see? Are the globals set to a value that another user set?

I have been using IWP with v1, then v2, then v3 with no discernable difference in use. Globals and variable use have not changed for us.

I cannot make out the PDFs, but you want to be sure to create a new record for the table(s) that house the globals for each user. Any attempt to use one of these fields will lock the record in IWP, which is different than FMP.

Also, one preferred way to make sure a user is limited to a set of records is to have a global within the table you are restricting, and set your calculation against fields only within that table and not via any relationship. In my example I am setting _gDepartment_fk upon startup and calculating Department_Access or the "view state". Then it is simple to trouble-shoot. I mention this because there have been times in past FM versions where some related calculations worked and then failed in an update.

Edit: Images did not come through.

Are you using variables to determine record access? If so, switch to calculations against globals that are within the table in question.

• 11. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                              msbertrand

I finally found my issue.

The IWP does not support 'Layout Theme' yet anywhere in desktop mode is cause an issue, yet in IWP it does not report an error, unless (after many hours of trying...) if you direct a user to a specfic layout (on open) that uses a them, it interrupt the IWP process and indicate to the user 'layout is not available due to a ... I can't remember.

You tell me where this is mentionned........

If not either you must prevent new layout creation to setup a them (either or it really annoye me...) or adivse IWP not to use theme.

Regards

• 12. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                                ch0c0halic

From the Help its in two places: See Note, last item.

Select a Theme (New Layout/Report assistant)

In this panel of the New Layout/Report assistant, you apply a FileMaker Pro layout theme to enhance the appearance of a layout or report and to give all of your layouts a consistent look.

A theme affects characteristics of the layout, including:

background color of layout parts

field borders and fill

layout object borders and fill

text characteristics in and outside of fields

A theme does not control the placement or behavior of objects.

To apply a theme to a layout or report:

Select a theme from the list.

A preview of the selected theme appears to the right of the list.

Notes

If you want the layout to look similar to layouts created with versions earlier than FileMaker Pro 12, under Basic, choose the Classic theme.

If you’re creating a layout to be used with FileMaker Go, choose one of the Touch themes.

When you create a layout, the theme selected by default is the last theme you chose in the assistant.

Only the Classic theme is supported in Instant Web Publishing. Some FileMaker Pro features may not display in databases published on the web. For more information, see theFileMaker Instant Web Publishing Guide and the FileMaker Knowledge Base.

OR

Changing the theme of a layout

You can change the theme of an existing layout. When you change a layout’s theme, FileMaker Pro applies the attributes of the new theme to all objects on the layout except the following:

the font and font size from the original layout or theme remain

buttons created prior to FileMaker Pro 12 retain their original formatting

To change the theme of a layout:

Display the layout you want to change.

In Layout mode, choose Layouts menu > Change Theme.

Select themes in the Layout themes list to display a preview of each theme.

Click OK to apply a selected theme to the current layout.

Notes

Any objects you add to a layout are formatted based on the new theme’s attributes. You can use the Inspector to reformat the font and buttons after you change the theme or you can copy and paste font styles from the original text objects to new text objects. See Copying style attributes between objects or layout parts.

You might need to resize layout parts and layout objects after the theme is applied for the layout to display properly. See Using tools to precisely position objects.

If you change the theme of a layout, then undo the change, any custom styles set on objects (including locked objects) reappear on the layout, but the new theme remains. If you undo again, the layout reverts to the previous theme.

If the current layout theme has a border, the border corresponds to the width of the layout. If you resize the layout in Layout mode, the border resizes proportionally. To allow the layout border to resize in Browse mode when a user resizes the FileMaker Pro window, set objects on the layout to automatically resize horizontally. See Setting auto-resize options for layout objects.

If you want the layout to look similar to layouts created with versions earlier than FileMaker Pro 12, under Basic, choose the Classic theme.

If you’re creating a layout to be used with FileMaker Go, choose one of the Touch themes.

Only the Classic theme is supported in Instant Web Publishing. Some FileMaker Pro features may not display in databases published on the web. For more information, see theFileMaker Instant Web Publishing Guide and the FileMaker Knowledge Base.

The opinions expressed in this email are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else.

Regards,

Ch0c0halic, FileMaker 12 Certified Developer

• 13. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                                  msbertrand

I am aware of all this,

What I am saying is if a 'layout' intended for 'Instant Web Publishing' is configured using a Theme, web browser will not be able to display the layout.  Even when the layout is used to in a script to modifiy/add data, it does not work (ie. freeze / Go to Layout xxx / set global field / go to original layout) if layout 'xxx' is using a them the function will not be executed and/or ignore, without any error messages.

M

ch0c0halic <noreply@filemaker.com> , 3/4/2013 3:25 PM:

created by ch0c0halic in Server and Server Advanced - View the full discussion

• 14. Re: IWP Global and Variables
                                    Stephen Huston

As ch0c0halic stated, per FMI's own statements, only Classic-themed layouts are supported in IWP. So anything which relies on a non-classic theme will fail in IWP, including script steps which rely on a non-classic theme.

This is a new limitation with FM12, and it requires having a classic-theme-based layout for any IWP routine or scripted action. Do not expect a web browser to display FMPro error messages -- they just don't do that. Another IWP limitation...