4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2012 9:42 AM by BeatriceBeaubien

Brief Display of Message, Then Have It Go Away Automatically (like a splash screen)

richardsrussell

My client would like the transaction type to be changed from "quote" to "reservation" as soon as she accepts a deposit. I would like to build into the "Accept Money" script a procedure that would check to see if (A) this is the first payment and (B) the transaction type is currently set to "quote". If those 2 conditions are met, I'd like to have the script change the transaction type to "reservation". No problem.

But I'd ALSO like it to display briefly on screen a message to the effect that it has done so. The message should stay on screen for 2 seconds and then go away on its own. I can't figure out how to make "Custom Dialog" do this without requiring user interaction (clicking OK or hitting return) to dismiss the dialog box. "Pause/Resume Script" allows me to wait the required 2 seconds, but it doesn't provide any method of transmitting "OK" to the custom dialog. Any ideas?

FMP 12 on a Mac

• 1. Re: Brief Display of Message, Then Have It Go Away Automatically (like a splash screen)
          nickchapin

As with anything FileMaker, there are multiple ways to accomplish this.

One way is to use a plugin that offers this functionality. There are some that are free and some that have significantly more features that are not. If this is the only thing you would use it for you might want to go for option two.

Create a new "dialog" layout that has a small dimension. In your script open a new window, goto the layout, center it on the old window (or screen or don't center - whatever suites your fancy), pause, close the window.

• 2. Re: Brief Display of Message, Then Have It Go Away Automatically (like a splash screen)
            Stephen Huston

Nick Chapin wrote, in part:

Create a new "dialog" layout that has a small dimension. In your script open a new window, goto the layout, center it on the old window (or screen or don't center - whatever suites your fancy), pause, close the window.

The new Modal Window setting for a new window makes this much more straight forward than in older versions.

You can also give them a button to close the window without waiting for the set time to expire, making it much more user-friendly, just set the window to perform its own Close Window, but also to stop the running script (with the window timer).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Brief Display of Message, Then Have It Go Away Automatically (like a splash screen)
              richardsrussell

Thanks, fellas. I went with a small floating document window that shows up close to the just-clicked-on "New Receipt" button:

Transaction Type Change.png

Stephen, I went with your suggestion and created a 'Close This Window" button right within the window, but on testing it, it seemed that the message got across adequately in 2 seconds and most people wouldn't ever be that quick on the trigger. Nonetheless, I figured it was good to have it there in case I dupe and modify this layout for future such messages that might last longer.

These are the script steps that make it do what I want:

Float That Window.png

You'll notice that I also have it speak the word "reservation", just for added reinforcement.

I think it's kind of odd that FileMaker doesn't have an automatic shutoff option built into its "Custom Dialog" script step, but maybe they figure that, as long as the functionality is there, they don't need to. But it's good to know that I wasn't overlooking something obvious.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

• 4. Re: Brief Display of Message, Then Have It Go Away Automatically (like a splash screen)
                BeatriceBeaubien

Hello Richard,

Steve Wright posted a fading splash screen approach last week. Perhaps it would be useful for what you are trying to do. If it was inserted on the existing layout, there would be no need for creating a new layout or custom dialogue.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/103541#103541

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 12 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Dec 22, 2012, at 12:57, Richard S. Russell wrote

created by Richard S. Russell in General - View the full discussion

My client would like the transaction type to be changed from "quote" to "reservation" as soon as she accepts a deposit. I would like to build into the "Accept Money" script a procedure that would check to see if (A) this is the first payment and (B) the transaction type is currently set to "quote". If those 2 conditions are met, I'd like to have the script change the transaction type to "reservation". No problem.

But I'd ALSO like it to display briefly on screen a message to the effect that it has done so. The message should stay on screen for 2 seconds and then go away on its own. I can't figure out how to make "Custom Dialog" do this without requiring user interaction (clicking OK or hitting return) to dismiss the dialog box. "Pause/Resume Script" allows me to wait the required 2 seconds, but it doesn't provide any method of transmitting "OK" to the custom dialog. Any ideas?

FMP 12 on a Mac