3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2012 10:41 AM by taylorsharpe

Type of report, advice please...

brian.curran

Hi,
      I'm looking at creating two reports, the first one is to send to customers and the second one is to help our accounts department prepare invoices. Any advice on the best type of report for each would be great...

1st) A report by Customer, which shows a list of incidents that we have responded to in a calendar month.

Report Title

Customer name, address etc.

Date, Time, Incident number, Hours, Rate, Sub-Total

Totals of Hours and Sub-Totals

2nd) A report of all Customer incidents that we have responded to in a calendar month.

Report Title

Grouped by Customer name

Date, Time, Incident number, Hours, Rate, Sub-Total
      Totals of Hours and Sub-Totals for this customer only

Grant totals of hours and sub-totals for all customers listed.

A basic list report for the 1st and a sub-summary report for the 2nd?

How would I set the date ranges, in MS Access I used parameters but I'm not sure how to do the equivalent in FM...

Thanks

Brian.

• 1. Re: Type of report, advice please...
          taylorsharpe

You would need to have Parts that are subsumarrized by the month.  If you have a field called "Incident Date", then create a calculation field called "Incident YYYY.MM" and the calcuation would be   Year ( Incident Date ) + ( Month ( Incident Date ) / 100 ).   Then you can create the subsummary part and select the "Incident YYYY.MM" to group things by month. 

• 2. Re: Type of report, advice please...
            brian.curran

Hi Taylor,

For the 'Accounts' report, I created a sub-summary and a pop up modal dialog that asks for the Start and End dates, this filters the data between the two dates and sorts it via Client and then Site Location.

Clicking Preview displays a printer friendly version of the report, when I exit preview mode and return to the layout, I have a 'Back' button in the Header to return me to the Reports layout. The snag with this is that my report contains a blank header, which wastes valuable printing space.

Is there a better way to include a 'Back' button?

Thanks

Brian.

• 3. Re: Type of report, advice please...
              taylorsharpe

You don't have to put the Back button in the header.  You can put it to the right of your printer margin, you can put it in the body, or in the footer, or wherever.  Just make sure it is set as a non-printing object and it can be anywhere that works well for the user.  Sometimes I'll put an empty box that fills the whole body... make it with no fill and no line... and make it into a button that when you click returns you to the original layout.  That way they can click anywhere in the body and it will return them and there is no visible button.  If you want, to help out new people, I add a tool tip so that when the mouse is over the body, it pops up and lets them know to click to return. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful