Nighthawk

Filtering a portal based on global input...

Discussion created by Nighthawk on Dec 29, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 1, 2013 by Nighthawk

hi everybody...

hope you guys all had a good christmas.

so - here is my scenario - a friend of mine runs a kind of pearl? business... those small little things that you create jewellery with. she stores a lot of stuff and wanted a db to track all stock - outgoing stuff and the stuff needed to create individual pieces. so far so good...

i have five tables [ customer - product - article - storage - supplier ] the article table is where all stock products are stored. all working fine, however instead of searching for available articles... i would like to filter the article table... for this i have created a TO of the article table and hooked it up to itself via pk_articleID and fk_articleID... i created 4 global fields ( each one for a filter criteria within the article table ), connected the global g_article_type to the article_type within the relationship - so eventually have 2 criteria.

hope this is not too confusing...

then i created a new layout - inserted a portal based on the above keys via a relationship article_ARTICLE_filtered... the four global fields are on the layout which is called article_filter within the body and they are formatted as a pop-up menu, so she can select criteria out of a list rather then entering values by hand. i chose to show 20 rows which is sufficient for the requirement. on enterring the layout article_filter the portal shows no records - which for me makes sense... since no filtering ie match field has been chosen ( no criteria has been entered ), however on entering a criteria ( and here i might add - i have only 1 field activated for testing ) via the pop-up article_type nothing happens... which i did not expect... and i am probably missing the obvious... i guess...

one other thing is how to activate or filter down based on entry of the other global values...

anybody got any ideas as to where i am missing something or can shed some light... hope my description is not too wild... in case of any question... just drop me a line... thank you

as always any help is much appreciated.

all the best from germany

jurgen

Outcomes