2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 2:47 PM by eshoshin

Best way to host an IWP database?

cjm.mars@gmail.com

I am creating a database for my church. I would like to have the database avaible online using IWP. We do not have a server, and I do not want to have to use my computer as a server for the database. What would be the cheapest, easiest way to have my database accessable online? Do I need to by a server of sometype, or could I pay a hosting service to host it for me?

• 1. Re: Best way to host an IWP database?
          PointInSpace

I am creating a database for my church.  I would like to have the

database avaible online using IWP.  We do not have a server, and I do

not want to have to use my computer as a server for the database.  What

would be the cheapest, easiest way to have my database accessable

online?  Do I need to by a server of sometype, or could I pay a hosting

service to host it for me?

Have a look at our services at:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

I can offer an additional 10% non-profit discount off our regular

pricing as well - just mention such when registering for your account.

Please let me know if you have any questions either here or off-list to

jmay(at)pointinspace.com as well.  Thanks!

- John

--

• 2. Re: Best way to host an IWP database?
            eshoshin

A hosting service is one option, of course.  You can use any computer as the "server" for IWP; it doesn't have to be anything more than your typical "everyday" computer.  To use your database online, you'll need to optimize the layouts for IWP.  You don't need a copy of FMServer (unless you want more than 5 simultaneous users) -- you can use IWP from the basic FMPro application.  (for a nice checklist of what you can and can't do with IWP, go to: http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/iwp.html)

The cheapest way would be to buy a cheap computer off of eBay or Craigslist, then use IWP.  The easiest way would probably be to have a hosting company, because you won't have to really do anything other than pay them.