1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 4:59 PM by TimDietrich

FMS12 and Java7?

old_cedar

New Mac Mini OS10.7.3 and FMS 12.0.3 installed last Spring. Set up and ran perfectly for months. Use it for development checkout. Have FMS 11 running on an older Mini in daily inhouse use for billing and other business management files. [Both Minis are non servers and bare bones and are remote [Screen Shared]. FMS 11 has run for a couple of years now. ] Decided this month to convert my business FMP 11 files to 12 and upgrade all machines. 2 months ago I added a couple of client files to FMS 12 no problem. Today I try to add the converted files to the server. The console would not come up. Used the safari page and got "Need Java7" and immediately downloaded and installed it. Console starts but, there is nothing in the window.

Restarted mini and tried again. This time the Security login comes up with a blank window. Went looking for an update. Found 12.0.3? Went to update and needed to shut down the FMS. Went thru Acctivity Monitor and shut down the Server. Updated and restarted. Same thing happend again. Startup of Security to enter console but nothing [blank] in window. No mesages and no fields. Anyone got a clue as to what in hell is going on?

• 1. Re: FMS12 and Java7?

Hi Charles,

It's my guess that you've unwittingly installed a version of Java from an Apple OS X update that is incompatible with the FMS Admin Console.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11251/kw/java%20update

The recommended work around is to install Java 7 from the Oracle web site. From your description I'm wondering if you've actually done that. There's a Terminal command that will return the version of Java installed.

I hope that helps,

John

• 2. Re: FMS12 and Java7?

What John said, plus you can sometimes administrate from another computer and at least get things started. Almost always a Java version problem.

• 3. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
              old_cedar

Well tried all the installs and removals and reinstalls and resolutions.  Still no joy.  Still get the same security information blank window and no console.  Any other thaoughts?

• 4. Re: FMS12 and Java7?

Hi Charles,

What do you get when you type "java -version" without the quotes in Teminal.

On my laptop runing OS X 10.7.4 with no Java updates applied since Oct '12, I get:

JW-MacBook-7:~ jw_17$ java -version

java version "1.6.0_33"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_33-b03-424-11M3720)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.8-b03-424, mixed mode)

This works for the Admin Console of FMS 11.04

On my FMS 12 MacPro running OS X 10.8.0 (where I thought I'd downloaded the Java 7 from Oracle to overcome a problem similar to the one you are describing) I get :

java version "1.6.0_37"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

That is clearly not Java 7 but is probably what came with OS X 10.8. I've been scared to apply any Software Updates to that system least the dreaded Java incompatibility ensues.

Meantime . . . I probably should consider eating my own dog food! 

Cheers!

John

• 5. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                  old_cedar

"What do you get when you type "java -version" without the quotes in Teminal."

java version "1.6.0_37

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

Obviously not running 7 but running the same as your 10.8.0.  What is "terminal code" for determining which wersion of FMS?

Well just re ran the JAVA 7 install and restarted my computer... No change in the terminal response to the "java -version" entry...

Message was edited by: old_cedar

• 6. Re: FMS12 and Java7?

Hi Charles,

There must be a step, that we've each overlooked, which is needed to actually install Java 7. I seem to recall omething about deleteing the Java cache.

Hoefully, someone with a better grip on Java will enlighten us.

Cheers,

John

• 7. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                      old_cedar

John,

THe problem is that the Java cache control is on the Java Control Panel which is …

Catch 22!!!

• 8. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                        old_cedar

Problem with emptying the cache is that it also is a blank widow... Catch 22!

• 9. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                          tech_liaison

Hi Charles: I received the following response from our tier 2 support folks...

Have the customer clear the java cache manually.

/Users/username/Library/Caches/Java/cache/

If that doesn't work. Follow the directions from this thread.

1. Uninstall the JRE7
                          2. Restart
                          3. Install Java for OS X 2012-006
                          4. Restart
                          5. Install JRE7
                          6. Restart
                          This appears to be a java issue independent of FMS. I searched java's bug db but didn't find a current report for OS X. Only Windows.

Let us know if this helps Charles.

Best,

Dave

• 10. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                            Dhrakar

Howdy,

I've been having the same issue with Mountain Lion (Java 7 update 10).  That is, connect via screen sharing and start the admin console.  The result is a blank dialog.  This appears to be a Java and VNC problem, but I don't know the real solution yet.  For now, if you drag the dialog window to the very bottom of the screen (so that just the title bar is showing) and then back up, it forces a redraw and you can see the contents.  You can type in blindly for the user/passwd and it works, so this definitely looks like just a screen redraw problem (which I verified by connecting a physical monitor and you can see that the monitor shows the contnent while VNC does not).

Could be a bug for Apple/Oracle as opposed to FileMaker.

• 11. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                              BruceHerbach

I had the same problem.  In my case this was on a a Mac Mini Server version running OS X 10.7.5.  As long as Java 6 was the only version on the server it worked as intended.  It had to go into the shop due to another issue and my local Apple store erased and re-installed the OS.  Leaving it with out Java. 

So two things helped.  First if I left a monitor connected then when the Java Applet ran I was able to see the text and interact with the App.  So I could run and use the FMS Console.  I had a client try and do the same thing.  He needed both the monitor and keyboard connected to see the text.

A better fix that at least let me go back to running this as a headless server was to uninstall Java 7 and enabel Java 6. 

The second thing was removing Java 7 and enabling Java 6.  This Apple KB artical shows you how to enable Java 6.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT555

At this point there is still a couple of issues.  After doing this,  running the Web browser http//yourserveraddress:16000  will show the link to down load the Server Java App.  This link is no longer functional.  However if you already have the Java App then just click on it and it should run.

New wrinkle.  With all of the hype the last couple of days about Java I have disabled it in my default browser and in the Mac Java Console on my notebook runing OS X 10.8.2.  So far,  the downloaded Java Apps I already have to run the FMS cosole still work.

HTH

Bruce

• 12. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                                Datastudio

Same problem here. I went through complete procedure and at the end I get this message:

[IMG]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x371/John2710/JavaError_zps52adbba5.png[/IMG]

• 13. Re: FMS12 and Java7?
                                  BruceHerbach

I didn't run into this problem.  In my case it was a completely erased/new install of the OS,  then server then Java.  Maybe in the next version of FMS they will drop Java.  It has been a real pain in the neck...

Bruce

1 2 3 Previous Next