9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2013 7:09 AM by HershHiltonHead

Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device

CCAS

Aside from moving files via iTunes, is there a way to move files - such as PDF's or other files attached to emails - to GO's "Files on Device"?

Another side of this questions is if anyone knows of a way to rename files at "Files on Device" without the tedium of slogging through iTunes?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
          JohnSindelar

You can export from container fields from FMGo files on the devive.

• 2. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
            CCAS

Thanks John. But what I'm after is getting documents not already in GO - contracts received as PDF's (etc.) via email, for example - into fields in a FileMaker database running under GO 12.

• 3. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
              rgordon

Get Diskaid 6.  It's free and you can move files with wifi from your computer to the FileMaker directory on the iPad.  Can also rename files, delete files or see hidden files.  A must have program.

• 4. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
                CCAS

Many thanks. Diskaid 6 is "nearly" it, seems to be quite useful, but still doesn't seem to be able to do its magic with files on the iPad: it works between desktop and iPad, not iPad to iPad. CCAS's apps depart from the "light weight" computing model Apple espouses for iPad etc. and are entirely able to exist on the mobile device alone (although they run identically on desktops and can be run as "clients" when apps are hosted).

• 5. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
                  RafaelCaballe

I face same limitations than ccasinc. They are HUGE LIMITATIONS to use FMGo in many business situations. It seems that you can not think in a solution totally independent from desktop...But...I would like to know if that limitation comes from iOS or from FileMaker...? In other words, do anybody think that this is going to be solved shortly?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
                    rgordon

I believe this is more of an iOS limitation than a FIleMaker Go limitation. 

• 7. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
                      skywillmott

I've posted this same reply on another entry here... but....

DropBox app is your friend here :-)

Using that and the 'Insert from URL' script step pretty much any type of file can be transferred from email attachments to a container field... Also any file that is available by using a URL can be added using 'Insert from URL' script step as rgordon suggests....

For email attachments, choose to 'Open in...' DropBox, and then once uploaded to DropBox, open the DropBox app and open the file.... Even for files that DropBox cannot display, then choose to 'Copy Link to ClipBoard' and open up Safari and paste the link to display the DropBox file download page... Click the 'Download button' and once the file has been downloaded in Safari, then copy the new URL shown in Safari and use that as the URL to use in the 'Insert from URL' script step...

It's a bit of a workaround, but works well... I will try and put together a demo file later to post here....

Sky

• 8. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
                        skywillmott

Here is a file I've put together that enables any file stored on your DropBox to be inserted into a FMGo container field..., and from there can be exported to the 'Files on Device' area in FMGo...

So for example, lets say you receive a file called 'thisismyfile.pdf' as an attachment in Mail. In Mail, choose to open the file in DropBox... It will then prompt you to save/upload it to your DropBox..

Once that's done, tap to view the file and then tap the 'Share' button and choose 'Copy Link to Clipboard'.

Next, open up FMGo, and in this case the database I have attached here... I have created scripts etc so that you just need to click the 'Get from DropBox' button and voila the file should end up imported into the container field shown....

Note this all only works on iOS with FMGo 12 and the DropBox app installed....

I haven't had a lot of time to fully test it and build in error checking, but it looks like it does the job... Take a look at the script and note there is a tiny web viewer and a text field present on the layout just to the right of the container field....

Hope this helps,

Sky.

• 9. Re: Moving iPad files (pdf's, etc.) to GO's Files on Device
                          HershHiltonHead

Hello Sky,

I just posted this earlier today regarding this issue of mine...

I have scripted pushing documents through a container field into specific folders I have created on the fly within DropBox.  It works well, when I drag a file into a global container it creates a document record and instantly my DropBox has the file contained within.  What I can't figure out is there a way to captures the dropbox link to that document so I can store that address in a FM field I have named "DropBoxLink"?

My Client desires a way to after we push the files to DropBox {Accomplished!},  then capture the dropbox link to that file and store it within the FM record.  Weekly he wants a report sent to a group of staff listing the documents he posted to the dropbox and have the email contain the link to each of the posted documents.   Have you carried your ".zip" example out further or writen scripts that accomplish this? 

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark Hershinger

SCSFileMaker