2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 7:50 PM by MarkNZ

Table Design Methods

MarkNZ

I have started my learning curve into FM using the "FM Starting Point Template" I did this so I could go behind the scenes and see how things were done and connected.

I also have been following Suzan Prosser "The missing Manual" & Chris Appleton teaching aids.

In Starting Point under the Relationship Tab You can see that the Main Tables (TO’s) Ie: Accounts, Contacts, Estimates, Invoicing etc are there.. great..

All the TO’s connected to the main Table occurrence are related, I understand that too.

But notice how the main table occurrences are not connected to each other like Suzan & Chris show it. FMSP obviously use an alternative design method. ie: The Contacts table is not Directly Related to Estimates using standard methods etc. Other methods are being used.

Suzan & Chris Appleton’s Main Tables are all directly Related.. with pk & fk keys etc

Is it that FMSP is based on advanced methods ? Or is it because FMSP is built to suit Note Pad & IPhone?

or It could be that some of the TO'S are just hidden from view?

I think what FMSP have done is very good & Im sure theres many ways you can do things & The method used probably suits its purpose, its not that. Its just as I’m just learning my way through things.. starting out, I want to put my time & effort into the right learning direction. Starting of on the right platform, particuarly in the early stages.

If anyone is aware of FMSP design concept & could add a couple of thoughts, that would be great.

Many Thanks Mark

• 1. Re: Table Design Methods
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Mark. Welcome to FileMaker.

What you're seeing is an example of how there are different ways to organize the Relationships Graph. The template files (the ones I've looked at, at least) use a scheme known as "anchor-buoy". It's a somewhat non-traditional method for organizing the graph that focuses on the layout-centric nature of FileMaker and a predictable naming convention to impose a structure on the solution. It's fairly popular, but not the only way to organize the graph.

Ray Cologon wrote a good white paper a while ago about different graph organization methods. I've attached it for your reference. Hope it helps.

Mike

• 2. Re: Table Design Methods
            MarkNZ

Hi Mike thanks for your reply..OK anchor_buoy..that makes sence now that you say it. I have printed off the attachment so thanks.