2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 8:05 AM by riverclinic

Setting up first script- help with opening Outlook email template

riverclinic

Arranging my first script- needing help please!

My goal is to create a script that every month finds each record of a client who has not visited for one year, and to then send out a reminder email ready prepared by me as an Outlook template (and to send letters but I have grasped that as have created letter layout in Filemaker).

In formulating the script I am stuck as to what command I would use to open an Outlook email template, and whether this is even possible?!

All tips and help much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Setting up first script- help with opening Outlook email template
          ariley

Almost everything is possible in FileMaker. The way I would approach this is the following:

1. Create a new table called 'notifications';
          2. Set up fields for notification: type (e.g. email), send_to, frequency; text_template;
          3. Set up a table that stores the notifications sent out;
          4. Set up a script that goes through the notifications and checks whether that day a notification should be sent, then checks whether it was sent (you can tie the two tables together obviously), and if not, sends one out.

I would just send them out through the SMTP server, then you don't have to worry about Outlook.

Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting up first script- help with opening Outlook email template
            riverclinic

Hiya thank you so much for your reply! I will try that (once I have done some more studying!), and yes I am considering using SMPT but there are some limitations compared with Outlook I thought, although perhaps when I know more I will decide these are insignificant.