2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 2:29 PM by Malcolm

Alternatives to remote access

filemakerguru

My client wants to offer his salespeople access to his database which is running on FMSA 12

We have tried runtimes and Instant Web Publishing and although they are inexpensive they present too many limitations

FM go would work but the hardware cost is high. Standard FM Pro is also an expensive solution. In short he wants all the good stuff at a low cost

Are there methods of remotely accessing a client via VPN or Remote Desktop that is compatible on Mac and PC?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Alternatives to remote access
          taylorsharpe

Well, VPN or remote desktop doesn't make it any cheaper, you still have to have a FileMaker client license.  And FM GO is a pretty inexpensive solution.  Your client probably has some unrealistic expectations on the costs of a database.  But that is another story. 

You can use all the normal methods of "screen sharing" from Citrix to Remote Desktop and they have varying security levels.  Citirix tends to be the most common enterprise solution, but then again, your client apparently is cheap and suggesting doing things the right way is not the inexpensive way.  But if they are cheap, one of the easiest solutions is so screen share with a free service like http://join.me or setting up VNC sharing.  By the way, Microsoft's Remote Desktop works just fine on Macs. 

• 2. Re: Alternatives to remote access
            Malcolm

My client wants to offer his salespeople access to his database which is running on FMSA 12 ....  he wants all the good stuff at a low cost

FMGo is going to be the most cost-effective distributed solution.

The question for them is simple, is it a profitable investment? Put it to them: if they do not expect to obtain reasonable benefits on the investment in their business you should move on. In my experience, good clients will appreciate your work, respect your advice and pay promptly (and the world is full of good clients. They are out there, wondering where you are).

Malcolm