johnbuckingham

Pass calculated activeLayoutObjectName in Script Parameter

Discussion created by johnbuckingham on Jan 10, 2013

The help file entry for 'Get ( ActiveLayoutObjectName )' states:

There is a named button on the current layout called cancelButton. When the focus is on the button, Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName)returns cancelButton.

In various posts I've seen over the last couple of years, I think I'm not alone in wishing that it was as simple as it appears from that entry. Problem is, clicking a button doesn't bring it into focus...

I've been trying to develop a workaround as I often implement a 'sort' routine which shifts focus to another window, then returns to the current one - but it may not return to the original object. Of course, it is possible to include the object name as text in the parameter - but if any object is renamed, scripts may not behave as expected! So I wanted to find a way to send the 'enclosingObject' name with the script parameter as calculated information.

I expect there are clever workarounds to fulfill this requirement that folks have already developed, but I couldn't find any links to one. So, while the attachment is probably not particularly elegant, it may be that it will be of help to somebody.

John Buckingham

Maidstone, Kent, UK

Outcomes