2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2013 9:34 PM by comment

Tracking monthly unpaid fee

redzwanlatif

Hi. I got Student and Student Monthly Payment table. The flow is like this, in a Student layout, I put a portal for Student Monthly Payment. So, every month, when student pay their monthly fees, the user will input the payment record in the portal. Now the problem is, how can I track unpaid monthly payment as the unpaid record does not exist in the portal(Student Monthly Payment table). Is there any other way to input monthly payment other than portal? or is there any way to solve this by using portal? . I need to find the unpaid records but can't even think of new ideas on how to do this. Your help would be appreciated. Many many thanks

• 1. Re: Tracking monthly unpaid fee
          ErikWegweiser

Off the top of my head, I'd think of two approaches.

1. Your Payment table would include payments due as well as payments made. It would have an amount due field and at least a flag indicating whether the payment was made. On a regular basis, at least monthly, you would run a routine to create new, unpaid amount records in Payments (you'd need a way to determine whether an unpaid amount record should be created for each Student, such as according to last billing cycle or calculating remaining balance, etc.).

2. Without creating unpaid amount records in Payments, you might be able to have calculations that flag a Student as owing for the current month, based on their current balance and the date of their last payment (i.e., if they paid more than a month ago and they have a balance, then they do owe a payment this month).

• 2. Re: Tracking monthly unpaid fee
            comment

Depending on your business rules (of which we know practically nothing), you could either:

1. Generate the payments records in advance, then record the actual payment by entering the date and the amount paid in an already existing record;  or:

2. Calculate the amount that should have been paid up to today and compare it with the sum of Payments.