4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 7:38 PM by kongphui

Has anyone installed Filemaker Server on a Windows Azure Virtual Machine?

ca78

Just checking to see if anyone has tried to install Filemaker Server Advanced on a Windows Azure Virtual Machine. Seems pretty easy to throttle up or down when your needs change and trying to find out if anyone has tried this as of yet.

• 1. Re: Has anyone installed Filemaker Server on a Windows Azure Virtual Machine?
          kongphui

I am going to try installing on with my azure trial, but since it only comes with 800 compute hours/month, that is just good for 1 core. I am not sure if it is workable with 5 users connecting to fms. I would like to hear from anyone who is running fms on vm, how many cores, memory that configure as.

• 2. Re: Has anyone installed Filemaker Server on a Windows Azure Virtual Machine?
            wimdecorte

I work with a lot of big companies that run FMS on VMs.  You basically dimension the machines just like you would a physical machine.  The ability to add processing power on-the-fly is a very nice benefit of VMs.  Just be mindful of what other virtual instances run on the same physical host and how they impact the host's resources, especially i/o and network.

Also take care not to so too low on disk space.  There is often pressure in a VM environment to go for small virtual disks.

• 3. Re: Has anyone installed Filemaker Server on a Windows Azure Virtual Machine?
              LSNOVER

Just digging up some old posts here, to see if anyone else is experimenting with Filemkaker in the Azure or EC2 environment.

Kongpui have you made progress with your Azure deployment tests?

I am attempting some testing in Azure myself. 

Regards,

Lee

• 4. Re: Has anyone installed Filemaker Server on a Windows Azure Virtual Machine?
                kongphui

Hi Lee,

Yes I have installed FMS 13 on Azure and EC2, running on the free-tier (which means the configuration is low on CPU and memory), on a VM with Windows Server 2012.  So far it is still responsive and not much response lag, when accessing with a 10Mbps broadband connection. 

However I am still trying to configure FMS to accept authentication with external groups, and no success yet.  I could get FMS to detect the external group, but unable to login to the hosted databases with those credentials.  I think the problem is on my network settings and not FMS related.

The procedures to open ports 5003, 16000 required by FMS is different on Azure and EC2, and I went thru some time to ask around before getting it right.