5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 12:32 PM by beverly

Excute SQL From Remote Computer

PSI

I have a system that is hosted on my Mac FMS 12. I am connecting via ESS to a MySql db on the clients web site. I am using Execute SQL to insert, update and delete records into the shopping cart product tables. All this works fine.

When my client, who connects from their office to the database and runs the same scripts they get an error that the datasource doesn't exist...or something to that effect. Does Execute SQL not work over a wan connection?

Thanks

John Morina

Pueblo Systems, Inc.

• 1. Re: Excute SQL From Remote Computer
          beverly

Where is your ODBC connection set up? on server or on Desktop?

Beverly

• 2. Re: Excute SQL From Remote Computer
            PSI

The ODBC is a system DSN on the Server

John

• 3. Re: Excute SQL From Remote Computer
              LSNOVER

Since you say you are updating and inserting data using Execute SQL, I would assume that is the Execute SQL Script Step (not the new Function).  That Script Step does not utilize the ODBC connection on the Server (like ESS does).  This is something I have been asking FMI to implement for a number of versions now.  So my guess would be you do not have a proper ODBC DSN setup ont he remote/desktop and without that the Excute SQL SCRIPT Step will not function.

• 4. Re: Excute SQL From Remote Computer
                PSI

Thanks Lee, you just woke me up!

Yes i am using the Scrit step.I even looked at the ODBC administrator and didn't see the DSN but i was looking at the wrong one...not the odbcad32.exe

I would be nice if the Execute SQL script step would work via the Server!

Thanks,

John

• 5. Re: Excute SQL From Remote Computer
                  beverly

Since you say you are updating and inserting data using Execute SQL, I would assume that is the Execute SQL Script Step (not the new Function).  That Function does not utilize the ODBC connection on the Server (like ESS does).  This is something I have been asking FMI to implement for a number of versions now.  So my guess would be you do not have a proper ODBC DSN setup ont he remote/desktop and without that the Excute SQL SCRIPT Step will not function.

Lee is spot on! This is from the script step help (http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/scripts_ref2.37.69.html#1029790):

Where the script step runs           Supported

FileMaker Pro                     Yes

FileMaker Server scheduled script      No

FileMaker Go                     No

Custom Web Publishing                No

Instant Web Publishing                No

Runtime solution                No