3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 1:00 PM by martinc

Negative Testing...find what's missing

martinc

We use: fmsa 11 on WinServer 2008 with users on Win XP using fmp11, I use fmpa11 mostly on windows

Part of our system holds a training table to log training events. I'm pretty solid on finding what we Do have. I having a challenge on finding what we Dont have..

We have a few tables that relate to this

Employees

Classes

Training Events

We create a training event and link a classs to it as well as the employees that attended. Pretty cool. I can see related events on a particular employees record.

What I really want to see is what's MISSING.

Example: There is a class for xyz and I want all employess of job title 123 to take this class once per year. I'd like to know at a glance who needs to still take xyz class. How do I search for non-existent related records?

Thanks

eeFile.jpg

Martin

• 1. Re: Negative Testing...find what's missing
          nsabel

Perform a find for all employees with a job title of 123 then do a constrain found set to omit those with class xyz. In a script it would look something like this of course setting the appropriate action and criteria in each step.

Perform Find [Restore]

Constrain Found Set [Restore]

Nick

• 2. Re: Negative Testing...find what's missing
            Stephen Huston

You can also program the search Nick mentioned as a 2-request search rather than performing a second search to constrain the results of the first search

Find: employees who may qualify

AND

Omit: those who already have the XYZ record in existence.

[ Keep in mind that when searching via a relationship, you need to be testing for the existance of something specific, not for a blank related record. Searching for a blank via a relationship usually returns all records in the parent table. Sometimes you have to do a omit on "≥ 0" (omit greater or equal to zero) to avoid this relationship surprize. ]

• 3. Re: Negative Testing...find what's missing
              martinc

Gentlemen,

Thank you!  The constraining with an Omit seems to work very well.  This will be easy to roll into scripts.  Next time I'll try to ask a harder question..

Martin