AnsweredAssumed Answered

Import fields into Filemaker

Question asked by roryduffy on Jan 17, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 20, 2013 by roryduffy

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to import fields/columns from an excel into FileMaker?

I wish to do this because I am creating several hundred budget fields, and I want to save time rather than manually entering fields into manage database: budget 001, budget 002, budget 003 etc etc.

On FileMaker Quick Start, there is an option to Convert an Existing File. This enables you to map columns from excel into a new FileMaker document.

However, I've spent 2 weeks setting up my tables, relationships, values and scripts, and I don't want to start from a new FileMaker document. I want to import fields into an existing FileMaker document.

Excel allows you to number rows sequentially, and then copy/paste Transpose (turn rows into columns). I need to then transfer the columns into FileMaker as fields.

It seems a simple enough task (i.e., importing fields instead of records) but after searching the web extensively, I can't find a solution. FileMaker does perform an import columns in a new file when you select Convert an Existing File - but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this in an existing file. Frustrating!

Please let me know if anyone has found anything. It will save me hours of manual field entering!

Thanks,

Rory

Outcomes