8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 1:45 PM by DanielShanahan

How can I get a hosted file to iOS?

DanielShanahan

When setting up a syncing process how does one get a hosted file to the iOS? I know there are at least four ways to get an unhosted file to the iOS: 1. iTunes, 2. email, 3. web link, and 4. Dropbox. But what about a hosted file?

• 1. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
          ch0c0halic

Hosted files cannot be copied down to any client.

You use FMGo on the Apple iOS device to connect as a client of the FMP hosted file. In the same way your computer uses FMP to connect to the hosted DB.

• 2. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
            DanielShanahan

Thanks ch0c.  I know that I can connect a FM Go as a client to a hosted file but hosted files are not viable for many people in the field.  Having a local file on their iOS and syncing seems to provide faster, more reliable service.

• 3. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
              ch0c0halic

True, local files will always be faster then WAN access.

You might look into using a Syncing operation between an iOS local file (you can give it to them via email) and the Hosted file. There has been a lot of discussion around that topic.

• 4. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
                DanielShanahan

Thanks again for your reply.  Yes, I'm aware of the conversation regarding syncing - the FileMaker Sync Guide as well as the third party solutions.  My question is more rudimentary: is there any way to automate transferring a hosted file to an iOS device?  I know there are ways to transfer a non-hosted file (c.f. my original post).  What ways are people using to transfer a hosted file?

I have three different projects all looking for syncing.  All have a hosted FM solution.  I understand that sending the file to the iOS will happen less frequently then sending the data.  Nontheless, the only thing I can think of is to copy a backup and send that.  Its fine for me but not very convenient for the end user who may need/want to update the files in the field.

• 5. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
                  DanielShanahan

After more research I see that I can use the Import script step and the hosted db IP.  This is very helpful and I have had success importing a week's worth of jobs from the hosted file into my local file.

Now the Jobs table is one of three that I'd like to import.  A job belongs to an address and an address belongs to a customer, so a text ERD looks like this CUSTOMER -< ADDRESS -< JOB.

I have a script that queries the hosted db, finds the records then goes to the correct layout on the local file and imports.  The first table - JOB - imports properly.  However, when I move to the ADDRESS table I am unable to change the Target table.  Both the Source and Target are still on JOB.  I can manually change the Source to ADDRESS but in the Target dropdown all other tables, related and non-related, are greyed out.  JOB is the only option.

I have navigated to the proper context in both the hosted and local files.  But I do not understand why I cannot select ADDRESS or CUSTOMER on the import.

Any thoughts?

• 6. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
                    DanielShanahan

Forum apologies - premature post!

Sorry.  I see that what I needed to do was Specify the import order in the script.  I had copied the JOB import which is why the Target table was only Job.

I changed that and it works as expected.

• 7. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
                      kaostika

There are Several sync solutions.  Seedcode.com and 360works.com

oreste

• 8. Re: How can I get a hosted file to iOS?
                        DanielShanahan

Thanks Oreste.  I'm aware of both sync solutions mentioned.  Since moving data between a hosted and non-hosted file does not necessarily require syncing, I'm curious how that is handled from within FMP. 

I've discoverd that I can import from a hosted file directly into the local file on the iPad.  Not sure why that was new to me as I've done it before on the desktop, but there you have it.

So I've created a script that queries the hosted file and imports that found set into the local file on the iPad.  Pretty cool feature, I think.