11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 2:01 AM by comment

Two salary options?

redzwanlatif

Hi. I'm building a tuition management software. I need to put 2 salary options (percentage, per hour) in the system. My problem is with the relationship. If I use percentage options, the software should count the salary based on this formula :

All the teachers get 10% of the monthly fee as their salary. Let's say a teacher teach a subject that costs $45 per month. There are 10 students studying the subject. 5 students in Class A and 5 students in Class B.

Formula :

(10% x $45) x 10 students

My Relationship :

Students ->> Subjects Line <<- Subjects

Students ->> Students Payment

Teachers ->> Teachers Payment

Do you have any idea on how to calculate the salary automatically?

Which table should I put the 'fee per month, percentage, student payment' field?

I really need some idea for this. Thanks for your help . Really appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Two salary options?
          LyndsayHowarth

I assume "Subjects Line" is the actual enrollement record.

Payments could be logical place... as it is that figure that Teachers are paid against... or is it?

Do the Teachers get paid per enrollment or once a student has paid?

I think we need to know the scale and the office routines of this organisation which would impact a great deal on how much detail you will need and how specifically you would do this.

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Two salary options?
            comment

redzwanlatif wrote:

Let's say a teacher teach a subject that costs $45 per month.

I don't see a relationship between Teachers and Subjects. If you had a chain of relationship:

Teachers -< Subjects -< Enrollments >- Students

(this is assuming a teacher can teach several subjects but each subject is taught by one teacher only), you could have the following fields in the Subjects table:

• Fee                    Number ($45 in your example)

• cTotalDue          Calculation     = Fee * Count ( Enrollments::SubjectID )

and in the Teachers table:

• cPercentage     Calculation      = .1 * Sum ( Subjects::cTotalDue )

As Lyndsay noted, there is a difference between a fee and an actual payment. Note also that this needs to be a bit more sophisticated in order to include only currently active subjects.

Message was edited by: Michael Horak

• 3. Re: Two salary options?
              redzwanlatif

Thanks . Teacher get paid monthly. The user will enter the record in a portal. The newly entered row's field 'salary' should be automatically inputted. Let's say there are 35 students from different classes but same subject. So the auto-calculation formula would be . (10% x $45) x 35 students. The payment will be made maybe at the end of the month or any other days, simply, anytime. 

• 4. Re: Two salary options?
                redzwanlatif

you could have the following fields in the Subjects table:

• Fee - Number ($45 in your example)

• cTotalDue - Calculation, = Fee * Count ( Enrollments::SubjectID )

You mean that there are 2 fields?

What if fees are different based on the student's school level. Maybe primary is $40 and Secondary is $50. Where should I put the school level field? Thank you very mush

• 5. Re: Two salary options?
                  redzwanlatif

Sorry. I have some misunderstanding here. the '-' character is not minus right?

• 6. Re: Two salary options?
                    comment

redzwanlatif wrote:

What if fees are different based on the student's school level. Maybe primary is $40 and Secondary is $50. Where should I put the school level field?

If the fee amount depends on both the subject and the student, then it is an attribute of an erollment. You probably want to lookup the amount into the Erollment record, so that it does not change later when the student advances to a higher level, or when there is a general price increase.

---

I have edited my previous post in the hope of making it clearer.

• 7. Re: Two salary options?
                      redzwanlatif

Thank you very much . It's very helpful

• 8. Re: Two salary options?
                        redzwanlatif

Can I know what you mean by lookup? Do I have to create the amount field in the enrollment table?

• 9. Re: Two salary options?
                          comment

redzwanlatif wrote:

Can I know what you mean by lookup?

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/relational.11.22.html#1033096

• 10. Re: Two salary options?
                            redzwanlatif

I got another confussion in this. Do I have to put a portal in teachers layout ? If I have to, How do students will choose their subject? is it in a checkbox with value from subject layout? but it will have duplicates I guess. Is it? Thank you very much

• 11. Re: Two salary options?
                              comment

redzwanlatif wrote:

Do I have to put a portal in teachers layout ? If I have to, How do students will choose their subject?

You don't have to use a portal, though it can help. In any case, a portal on a layout of Teachers has nothing to do with how students select their subjects (i am using the plural form here, assuming each student takes several subjects?). That would be done by creating a new record in Enrollments - and this, if you like, can be done via a portal to Enrollments placed on a layout of Students.