4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2013 5:20 PM by TimGriffith

Multi-user setup

samjs

I have created a database for teachers to access their student's records. I want the teachers to be able to send out mail with their SMTP configuration, nowever each teacher has their own email accounts. What is the best way to create a multi user solution to accomplish this?

I have created a user table with the accountname as the ID. Then my thought was to create a relationship with the student table based on the accountname. The user table would then house the SMTP info. Am I going about this the right way or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Multi-user setup
          nickchapin

This may not help you as I'm not really answering your question, but could it be simpler for you if you used Send via E-mail Client rather than SMTP?

• 2. Re: Multi-user setup
            usbc

Yeah, I think you are on the right track. The email script can draw the smpt settings from the related user table.

Presumably, you want the student to reply directly to the teacher's account wherever that maybe hosted.

• 3. Re: Multi-user setup
              taylorsharpe

You can always configure the SMTP email to show that it is from the teacher (Reply To Field) and use an admin account and email for authenitcation since you probably do not know the teacher's password. 

It really depends on if you want the email to pop up in front of the teacher to possibly edit the message or not.  If you don't want that to happen, you'll need to use SMTP instead of Client Email settings. 

Personally, I set up all servers with FileMaker as a service to also have SMTP email on it with auto relay for email from 127.0.0.1 (from itself or local host).  That way my FileMaker SMTP emails never need authenticated and that completely skips the issue of not knowing a password. 

• 4. Re: Multi-user setup
                TimGriffith

I agree with this direction. There may be many ways to create an SMTP solution with lots of development and some work arounds, but by far, the simplest and least time consuming solution is to use the 'Send Mail' via Email client.