4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 11:56 PM by peterba1

Filemaker web page produces pdf's for download from the pages.

peterba1

Yesterday, on a web page that was clealy served by Filemaker server, I prepared several pages of information about managing fires, entering information. Then, to my surprise, I was able to press a button that produces PDF files for viewing and printing of the result. Unlike my usual pages which allow for only one page, this was 14 pages of work. How is this done?

• 1. Re: Filemaker web page produces pdf's for download from the pages.
          charleshuff

Are you asking if there is a one page limit to custom web publishing with fmp?  Not so.  Are you asking if PDF files can be created from custom web publishing? then yes.  One such solution is available from 360works.com.... remote scripter...

• 2. Re: Filemaker web page produces pdf's for download from the pages.
            peterba1

Thank you for your reply. You are right that i am trying to create pdf files from web publishing that have multiple pages.  However, that is not the process that I observed. On pressing the button, the pages were displayed as an open PDF,ready to read or download.

Peter Baxter

peterba1@me.com

• 3. Re: Filemaker web page produces pdf's for download from the pages.
              charleshuff

Set Variable: $Temp

Value: Get(TemporaryPath) & "temp.pdf"

Export [your container field] to path: $Temp

Check the option: Automatically Open

The above is what I use (gleaned from this list) to open and display a pdf with a button.  After reading the info on remote scripter (360works.com) it seemed to me to allow regular filemaker script steps to run in IWP (or custom web publishing).  I jumped to the conclusion that this might have been what you observed, given that it is possible to combine 14 pages of text, output a pdf into a container and then call the above script (in filemaker).  If remote scripter makes all these scripts available from iwp, why not cwp too?  I am sorry to say that I have not actually done it, so I may be way off base.  I was only trying to answer with my admittedly  limited knowledge.   When you find the real answer, I hope that I get to see it...

Charles

• 4. Re: Filemaker web page produces pdf's for download from the pages.
                peterba1

Thanks Charles,

My thinking is to run a timer script that automatically produces a PDF in the container if a field contains the number 1. after completing this task, it resets the field to 0.

Thus, the web page button only needs to set the field to 1.

The timer script could be set to run when the file is open.

Your variable idea would complete the task.

Alternately remote scripter should work.

Thank you.

Peter