6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 3:09 AM by joel.s

Popup/Drop-Down not closing on selection? (Go 12)

joel.s

Unlike the behaviour in Go 11, popup menus or drop-down lists do not close when a selection is made.

This looks like a bug but I wanted to check it was not just me that is seeing this.

I feel the 'rotating barrel' UI element in 12 is doing a very poor job all around:

Static size means it will be the wrong size more often than not.

Remaining open after selection (if it's not a bug). Obscures other UI elements after selection.

Scroll bar almost invisible.

More interaction required (scrolling/closing).

The v11 implementation was almost perfect:

Dynamic size resulted in often no scrolling being required to see all objects.

High contrast ideal for outdoor use.

Closed automatically when a selection had been made.

Scroll bar showed the position in the list.

Minimum effort.

Why the design change?

Go really needs a proper iOS popup menu/list along the lies of the v11 implementation with the option of a number/letter picker along the right edge and decent methods to allow type ahead.

A lot of iOS apps have this capabiltiy with huge lists.

• 1. Re: Popup/Drop-Down not closing on selection? (Go 12)
          joel.s

It looks like this is a bug and I have submitted it accordingly.

Joel.

• 2. Re: Popup/Drop-Down not closing on selection? (Go 12)
            rgordon

You need to run an on modifed script trigger to resolve this issue.  The script should have 2 steps:

commit record

halt script

• 3. Re: Popup/Drop-Down not closing on selection? (Go 12)
              Stephen Huston

YES, Joel, without a script to exit the field, it's normal for a single-field tab-order-layout to re-select itself when you "tab" out of the field rather than committing. The script trigger RGordon describes can stop that loop.

• 4. Re: Popup/Drop-Down not closing on selection? (Go 12)
                joel.s

Stephen & rgordon,

Thank you for that. I know about this work around, but that does not change the nature of the behaviour of popup menus and drop-down lists as being basically incorrect.

For the time being this means having to add a script to every popup menu and drop-down list in the solution so that it behaves as it used to do in Go11 without them.

It also implies that any script attached to record commit is going to be called each time a menu is closed and this is not remotely ideal either. You can see the small delay this is causing each time one or both scripts are called when the menu closes. We are trying to get the most efficient code possible on iOS and this is not helping.

Offhand, I cannot think of any application on any platform I have used previously where making a selection in a menu causes it to remain open.

Instead of calling it a bug, one could instead categorise it as a spectacularly bad design choice, which adequately describes every aspect of the menus in Go12.

• 5. Re: Popup/Drop-Down not closing on selection? (Go 12)
                  Stephen Huston

joel.s wrote: (in part)

For the time being this means having to add a script to every popup menu and drop-down list in the solution so that it behaves as it used to do in Go11 without them.

It also implies that any script attached to record commit is going to be called each time a menu is closed and this is not remotely ideal either. You can see the small delay this is causing each time one or both scripts are called when the menu closes. We are trying to get the most efficient code possible on iOS and this is not helping.

You might also avoid the commit-related problems by simply adding another named object to the tab-order of the layout which is used for the popup, so that exiting the popup goes to that layout object. The object need not be a button that does anything, but if it's in the tab order, the field should quit self-selecting on tab.

• 6. Re: Popup/Drop-Down not closing on selection? (Go 12)
                    joel.s

Stephen,

Apologies for the late reply.

I tried this initially but it doesn't work well in Go. You can tab out to a conventional field but then you have another set of issues with bringing up the keyboard or some picker which is annoying for the user. Try to tab out to a non-field object in the tab order and nothing happens. It also means applying a script trigger to every menu in the solution.

These sticking plasters would not be required if the menu behaved correctly in the first place.