2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 9:24 AM by PalmDBS

Export XSL with XSL - known issue for 10 years still happening?

PalmDBS

This is frustrating. If content pasted in a field contains invalid XML characters, and you export to XML using XSL, you get a SaxParseException error. Why does FileMaker output invalid XML characters, especially when using XSL and knowing that it won't be able to transform it? I've saw a discussion about the same issue back in 2003, and can't believe it hasn't been addressed in that time. Yes, I know "garbage in, garbage out", but you'd think it would be a lot easier for FileMaker to ignore those invalid characters than for me to iterate 2 million records to fix 4 or 5 fields on each record.

Is there any solution other than iterating through all the rows and cleaning all the fields with invalid characters (that were copy/pasted from word)? Doing such a mass replacement (whether through replace field content or iterating over records) tends to slow the system for the live users.

Mike

• 1. Re: Export XSL with XSL - known issue for 10 years still happening?
          comment

FWIW, the error is thrown by the Xalan XSLT processor, not by Filemaker itself - and I believe you would get the same error if using any other XSLT processor.

dbmike wrote:

Doing such a mass replacement (whether through replace field content or iterating over records) tends to slow the system for the live users.

Well, you only need to do it once. Then you can install auto-enters and/or validation to prevent further abuse.

• 2. Re: Export XSL with XSL - known issue for 10 years still happening?
            PalmDBS

But FileMaker is the program pushing that invalid data into the processor.  I know, FileMaker is actually accepting all data and pushing all data, and if I had what I wanted right now, others would say "don't filter my data, give it all to me".  They can't win, can they? :-)

Long term I don't need to worry about the auto-enter, as the export I'm creating is so they can move to SalesForce instead of FileMaker, was just hoping there was a way to export without the invalid characters.

Guess they'll have to grin and bear it today!

Thanks Michael.