2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 9:30 AM by jimfeuerstein

relating multiple records together

erickaczmarczyk

I am working on a way to link multipe records together.

Essentially our database has records identified by a unique inventory number.

Phsyically the inventory has both photographic prints and negatives in one table.

What I would like to do is be able to link the negative to the print.

An example of three records that need to be somehow linked together are : JS.93, JS.279 and JSN.011704

What I would like to happen is, in a portal, we can see the other two related items.

For example: looking at JS.93 we can see JS.279 and JSN.011704 - or - looking at JSN.011704 we can see JS.93 and JS.279.

Any thoughts?

many thanks.

• 1. Re: relating multiple records together
          christinesephton

I am somewhat following what you are saying, however are the three links any particular way?  I really need a better picture of your database structure to give you a viable solution.

• 2. Re: relating multiple records together
            jimfeuerstein

You haven't told us too much about either the database structure or your process, so I'll make some assumptions and base a suggestion on those assumptions.

First, I assume that a print is made from a negative. I also assume that you somehow mark records that represent negatives, so that you know they're negatives. Let's say you have a field "type" that is either "N" (negative) or "P" (print).

You should also have a field on each record that carries the ID of a negative (let's call it the "negative_id" field). It will have a different meaning for P (print) and N (negative) records.

In the case of a print, that field would contain the ID of the negative from which the print was made. In the case of a negative, it would contain the ID of the negative itself.

With those assumptions, it would seem that whenever the user adds a record for a print, the user should be required to select the negative from which the print was made. The ID of the selected negative would be carried in the negative_id field. In the case of a negative, the field would simply repeat its own ID.

Now all records contain a negative ID that can be used to drive a relationship to all other records that carry the same negative ID.