4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 2:33 PM by fmpros

Really stupid rant...

fmpros

<stupid, childish rant>

OK, I been using FMP since the stone age and this has always been a problem and I've always ignored it.

THE HELP FILE/SYSTEM THAT SHIPS WITH FMP IS TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, USELESS.

THE HELP SYSTEM INDEXING FOR FINDING INFORMATION IS ALSO TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, USELESS.

THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.

Thanks, I needed that.

<end of stupid, childish rant>

• 1. Re: Really stupid rant...
          AppNomad

Bonjour William,

100% agree, a user of the modern age.

Salutations.

Rolstain

• 2. Re: Really stupid rant...
            DavidZakary

Join the club.

Two things that I have done - use FMP Ref on my iPhone (only goes up to 11, hey, where have I heard that before)

On the Mac I've bookmarked the help system in Safari. If you open the FileMaker help system, go to any page other than the home page, right click on the Home link in the breadcrumb trail and then copy the link. Paste that into your browser of choice and then bookmark it. Safari is miles faster than OS X's native help system, but there is no searching. Most of the time I only use it to find the structure for functions I don't use that often.

• 3. Re: Really stupid rant...
              DavidZakary

This is the link on the Mac...

file:///Applications/FileMaker%20Pro%2011/FileMaker%20Pro.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FileMaker%20Pro%20Help/index.html

• 4. Re: Really stupid rant...
                fmpros

Thanks all.  I have over the years learned to use other resources and rarely go to the native help system.

This morning however, I did it, without thinking, and fell into the trap.  It was a very frustrating experience.

Had to take a valium.