4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 12:32 AM by RubenVanDenBoogaard

Week Planner

larsheise

This should be so simple, but I just cannot find an easy way to accomplish it.

In one table I have some Tasks

Once a week, the manager wants to plan what some of his workers are to do the next week.

So I have the idea, that when you click on this task a script will make a new record in a new table and automatically fill in the text, and then manually you fill in:

the day of week ( popup - mon to fri )

initials of the person ( pop up from user table )

estimate of how long it will take to fulfill the task. (pop up with intervals of 15 min - up to 8 hours)

This should then be presented in a nice view something like this.

My problem is the coloring - combined with the time-estimate.

week.jpg

At the end of the week - everything should just be deleted, and we will start all over again.

Any ideas of how to structure this would be very welcome.

Lars

• 1. Re: Week Planner
          LyndsayHowarth

Hi Lars,

Interesting... a duration timetable. The first thing I think about is charts... so long as the layout doesn't require too much interactivity. I'd also consider html/javascript where you can make the size of the block a multiple of the base-size.

I will ponder on this one if I get a spare moment.

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Week Planner
            BruceRobertson

What if a task has a short duration but long description?

• 3. Re: Week Planner
              larsheise

Lyndsy, I am unfortunately no HTML nor Java person, but try to stick to native FileMaker, but if you can provide an easy solution, I will not stop you :-)

I have thought of  making a repeating field with 32 repetitions - 4x8=32 slots per day. Then via a script fill the different tasks into the fitting slot. At the end of the text I could put a number of spaces, to conditionally format the field color.

First task in slot 1 ( takes 2 hours=8 slots)

same number of spaces in field 1-8

Second task in slot 9 etc.

Problem is as Bruce also points out, I have little space for the text, and how do I know when to split the text to more slots. There is of course Tooltip, but not very elegant.

Any better ideas

Lars

• 4. Re: Week Planner
                RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Lars,

What if you take your text and split it in different slots.  You could use text + return + color number combined with a conditional formatted background which looks at the rightwords(slot;1) to color the background.

should be pretty easy :-)

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl