1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 9:35 AM by BruceHerbach

Server intermittency

user10625

Hello all,

We have 2 servers, a production server, and a test server where I try out things for development and such. Both are running FM Server 12.

Our production server is working fine, but our test server has been behaving badly for the client FMP apps. When you're logged in, you frequently see hour-glasses or coffee cups for periods of 1-10 seconds. And about every, oh, 4-6 times this happens, FMP dies.

The test server is an older machine, but as far as I know, it's obeying all of the rules: no Active Virus scanning, no indexing, no other apps running on it. Usually there is only 1 client logged on (me).

I've seen this happen from several different client OS's, computers and both Macs and PCs. So I do not think it is a client problem.

Below are the specs for the server.

Is there anything to check on that I might be forgetting about?

Specs:

2 Quad Core Xeon E5410 - 2.33 GHz

2x6MB Cache - 1333MHz FSB

4 GB RAM

32 - bit

RAID 5 ---- bunch'o' 15K RPM drives

NIC 2 X 1 GBPS

(could RAID 5 be the issue? Our production server, which works fine, is RAID 10).

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Christopher Bailey

Baytaflow

Boston MA

• 1. Re: Server intermittency
          BruceHerbach

HI Christopher,

How long ago did this start?  If this is a realtively new issue,  I would check the server logs to see if a any issues have developed.  Check the hardware.  You could have a drive failing in the raid arrary.  Also have check the network for errors.  If the adaptor has become flakey or the switch it is connected to, this could cause this type of failure. 

Bruce