6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 8:42 PM by BeatriceBeaubien

Changing "Internal" Database Name

JonA

Hello all...

I created a FMP 11.x database some time ago (single file solution with multiple internal tables). For purposes of this discussion, when I first created the database it was called something like "Database X.fp7". However, since its original creation, the database name has changed to "Database Y.fp7" Here's the issue:

In Mac OSX (10.5-10.7 tested so far), if I use OSX's "Save As PDF" feature in the Print dialog, the "Save As" Filename and Title fields are both preloaded with the name of the original database name, as opposed to the current name (or nothing at all).

Any idea where this is coming from, and can it be changed?

BTW: This does not happen with FileMaker's built-in "Save As PDF" feature.

Thanks, in advance for your insights.

- Jonathan

• 1. Re: Changing "Internal" Database Name
          Malcolm

I created a FMP 11.x database some time ago (single file solution with multiple internal tables). For purposes of this discussion, when I first created the database it was called something like "Database X.fp7".  However, since its original creation, the database name has changed to "Database Y.fp7" 

Use FMPro Advanced.  Tools->Developer Utilities. This will allow you to change the name of a file safely. It changes all internal references as well as changing the file name. If you have multiple files that interact select them all so that file references in the other files are updated too.

malcolm

• 2. Re: Changing "Internal" Database Name
            BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Jonathan,

If you've already renamed the file and you want the PDF's to reflect the new name, select the file in the Recover dialogue and follow these steps:

Choose Advanced options

Only select "Delete cached settings" and "Copy file blacks as-is"

Click OK.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 12 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Jan 30, 2013, at 17:16, JonA wrote

created by JonA in General - View the full discussion

Hello all...

I created a FMP 11.x database some time ago (single file solution with multiple internal tables). For purposes of this discussion, when I first created the database it was called something like "Database X.fp7".  However, since its original creation, the database name has changed to "Database Y.fp7"  Here's the issue:

In Mac OSX (10.5-10.7 tested so far), if I use OSX's "Save As PDF" feature in the Print dialog, the "Save As" Filename and Title fields are both preloaded with the name of the original database name, as opposed to the current name (or nothing at all).

Any idea where this is coming from, and can it be changed?

BTW: This does not happen with FileMaker's built-in "Save As PDF" feature.

Thanks, in advance for your insights.

- Jonathan

• 3. Re: Changing "Internal" Database Name
              JonA

Thanks to you both. In my testing, only the recover routine affected this issue. The Developer Tools method still yielded a file with the old name "internally".

I'm assuming that since the blocks were copied "As Is", the "recovered" file is actually safe to use, which is against the conventional logic about the Recover tool.  Correct?

• 4. Re: Changing "Internal" Database Name

Hi,

Please check out fmdiff.com/printing.html for an explanation and cure.

Winfried

Sent from my iPad.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Changing "Internal" Database Name
                  JonA

Thanks to all for your insights. Pixi, I should have been more clear that the "printing" was not being done via a script.  In the end, the Recover routine did the trick (and I suppose Winfried's solution would too). As mentioned in a previous reply, I've been conditioned to not use solutions that have been exposed to the Recover tool...but since the blocks were copied as is -- and unless anyone informs me otherwise -- I'm going to assume that my file is intact.

• 6. Re: Changing "Internal" Database Name
                    BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Jonathan,

I asked a key FMI engineer at a DevCon Under The Hood Session a few years back when this feature was announced if this was the way to correct the legacy PDF naming problem and he said it was. This part of Recover functions are now not necessarily to recover, but to reset the file parameters.

I understand the concerns, and I wouldn't have recommended if it didn't appear to be the safe way to address your issue. You're good even tho' it uses Recover.

Best wishes,

Beatrice

On Feb 2, 2013, at 15:53, JonA wrote

created by JonA in General - View the full discussion

Thanks to all for your insights. Pixi, I should have been more clear that the "printing" was not being done via a script.  In the end, the Recover routine did the trick (and I suppose Winfried's solution would too). As mentioned in a previous reply, I've been conditioned to not use solutions that have been exposed to the Recover tool...but since the blocks were copied as is -- and unless anyone informs me otherwise -- I'm going to assume that my file is intact.