3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 2:52 PM by RonSmithMD

OK to update 10.7 Server to 10.8 (non-Server)

Anybody know if upgrading OS X 10.7 Server to 10.8 (Mountain Lion) has any ill effects on server portion?

I really don't need "server" and my understanding is that I would first have to use the App Store to update to 10.8 anyway, but my assumption is that the server software does not require an update since it is now more of a front-end than a change to the OS.

Scott

• 1. Re: OK to update 10.7 Server to 10.8 (non-Server)
          RonSmithMD

We are running FileMaker Server with Mountain Lion Server 10.8.2 without problems. There really is not any difference between Server and Client except that the services are enabled and managed by the Server app.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 2. Re: OK to update 10.7 Server to 10.8 (non-Server)

Ron, thanks for the reply. I did discover that upgrading to 10.8 alone was not going to work because it appeared that the OS wanted to be managed by the Server App. Things worked, but FileMaker Server seemed to have a problem starting.

So, I also updated to Server 10.8, which was better but of course FMS had a fit with Java (what else is new) and I spent an additional 3 hours getting the entire sequence up and running again. Unistall FMS, resinatll FMS, install another version of Java, try command line, etc.

It's working, and I'm not going to touch it. That's how I typically feel about Windows servers, but with Java on OS X I'm now saying the same about mac servers.

• 3. Re: OK to update 10.7 Server to 10.8 (non-Server)
              RonSmithMD

Hmmm. I did two Mac Mini servers with no problems whatsoever.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle