2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2013 4:18 AM by gdurniak

"Operation cannot be performed...relationships between these tables are invalid"

johnkerr48

I have a multi-table system with lots of relationships and have gotten this message when I try to delete some records, but not all.

After many hours color-coding my relationship map so I could see where things were deleted (or created and deleted), I am no closer.

The problem started in one table and has now spread to a second one slightly farther up the food chain.

I've read all the relevant sections in the FMTS 12 modules but can't come up with anything that gives me even a hint of where to look.

This isn't my first FM 12 solution but it may be my most thoroughly organized. Each subsystem is organized so it can operate on its own, with links to everything that connect to it and that it connects to. Each subsystem deletes things it creates, but the problem occurs when one subsystem tries to delete records that were created in the other.

Writing out this note, I thought that might be the problem, that both systems couldn't try to delete the same records. So I removed the delete capability from one subsystem and reinstated it on the other (the first one that had the problem). This didn't change anything.

The odd thing is that a week ago, there wasn't a problem. If I go back to that version, it can delete just fine. But I've made so many improvements since then, I can't go back to that one. And figuring out how the relationships are different would be mindnumbing.

Can anyone think of any techniques that might help me? (I tried looking at the Data Design Report and it offers nothing on this front.)

• 1. Re: "Operation cannot be performed...relationships between these tables are invalid"
          johnkerr48

After posting this note, I saw some things under "More Like This" and read all of them. This gave me an idea to remove all the delete relationships and confirm that the main record in the subsystem could itself and a few other things. That worked, so I started adding delete relationships back in. This allowed me to narrow down where the problem was coming from.

Then I realized that maybe my test cases for deleting need to have all the records that can be deleted before I try to delete it. Deleting something with no children doesn't challenge the condition that causes the error message. So now I'm going to go back and create test cases that have all the children I want to delete, so that I can see where the problem is really coming from.

(This note is now as much for myself as the rest of the community. If I find something, I'll post the solution here. It looks like this comes up from time to fime and isn't easily diagnosed.)

• 2. Re: "Operation cannot be performed...relationships between these tables are invalid"
            gdurniak

I've seen this message when one side of the relationship is a Global

greg

>  and have gotten this message when I try to delete some records, but not all