10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 5:24 PM by joshnh

I can't seem to access a table occurrence...

joshnh

Firstly, I have no formal FileMaker knowledge, only what I have taught myself (enough to make basic changes/improvements). I have to work with a very old database (I would guess at about 10 years old), and it is confusing as heck. So, with that being said, please forgive my ignorance, and probable incorrect use of terms.

Okay, what I'm trying to do is update/edit a field, but I can't seem to find the table occurrence that the field exists in.

There are three linked databases that FileMaker uses, one with a suffix of 'Menu', one with a suffix of 'Data' and one with a prefix of 'Web'. I am fairly confident that I can ignore the 'Web' database in this case.

This is the field I'm trying to access (I think this should be in the 'Data' database): WK_week__STUDENT_ByKeyWeekAndGroupF::zc_Fullname

Would someone please mind breaking that down for me? I'm not really sure what each section represents.

I'm not really sure what other information I need to require for someone to be able to assist me, but if you can guide me as to what you need, I'll happily provide it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Josh.

P.S. I've attached a screenshot that might help explain what I'm talking about.

• 1. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
          pthomas

Hi Josh,

"WK_week__STUDENT_ByKeyWeekAndGroupF" is the Table Occurrence name.

"zc_Fullname" is the Field name.

So what you want to do is open the relationship graph and find the Table Occurrence called "WK_week__STUDENT_ByKeyWeekAndGroupF" (if you are on a mac you can start typing the name and it will jump to it for you, on windows in theory you can do the same thing but I have found it to be a lot more temperamental!)

Double click on table occurrence and it will open a dialogue that will show you the actual table name that the data is coming from (at the top of the dialogue it will also show you if the table is stored in the current file or not).

Switch to the "Fields" tab and select that table name.

You should now be able to find the zc_Fullname field and make your changes.

Hope that helps!

Paul.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
            joshnh

Thanks for the prompt reply, Paul!

I followed your instructions, and found that table occurrence in the 'Menu' database. Here it is selected:

FileMaker.png

Unfortunately, when opening the 'Data' database, and navigating to that table, I can't find the table occurrence:

FileMaker.png

Any ideas as to why this might be the case?

• 3. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
              pthomas

Hi Josh,

The second screenshot isn't quite scrolled down enough - you should be looking for a field called zc_FullName where the screenshot shows zc_found at the bottom.

Can you take a new screenshot with it scrolled down a little bit more?

Cheers,

Paul.

• 4. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
                joshnh

Sorry, Paul, I didn't explain myself very well. That field exists (if I scroll down a bit further), but that's not what I'm trying to change. I'm actually looking to find 'WK_week__STUDENT_ByKeyWeekAndGroupF'. All the other groups (A-E) are working, but F is not for some reason, and I'm trying to find that table occurrence to figure out why.

• 5. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
                  pthomas

Sorry I think I am getting a bit confused now.

You have mentioned GroupF but all of the screenshots are showing Group6?

If you are looking for the table occurrence for Group6 (which is the field from your very first screenshot) then you found it already (as shown in your second screenshot).

Either way it looks like all of those table occurrences are probably coming from the student table, if one of them isnt working then I would be checking the relationships - double click on the line leading between the Group6 table occurrence and the WK_WEEK table occurrence and check that it is defined the same way as the others.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 6. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
                    joshnh

Sorry, Paul. The first five groups are A-E, then the next four are 6-9, so yes, I'm talking about 'Group6'. I know, it's ridiculous...

I've done what you suggested, and the relationships are defined the same way. Any other thoughts?

FileMaker.png

• 7. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
                      pthomas

I would need to know what the problem is first :)

Your first post only mentioned finding the field to edit/change it.

What exactly is the problem you are having with that particular field/table occurrence?

Cheers,

Paul.

• 8. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
                        joshnh

Right. That table occurrence doesn't work. If you have a look at the attached image in the original post, you can see six columns that display student names and rooms for a particular week. The first five work perfectly, the sixth (groupF) does not.

• 9. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
                          pthomas

That sort of thing is a little bit hard to troubleshoot without being able to look through the solution sorry.

I would start by checking the values in the fields on both sides of the relationship (the 4 fields showing in your most recent screenshot) and ensure they all have the values you would expect.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 10. Re: I can't seem to access a table...
                            joshnh

Yeah, that's totally understandable, Paul.

Thanks to your help, I have been able to resolve the issue. I renamed any field that had a '6', replacing it with 'F'. That was all that was needed!

Once again, thank you!