AnsweredAssumed Answered

Copy a set of records from one related table to another related table

Question asked by timmcmanus on Feb 4, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 by timmcmanus

It's late, and I'm stumped approaching this issue.

I have one table "Student". It has a relationship with a table named "Term". "Term" is related to a table named "Term Dates". "Student" is also related to a table named "Scheduled Term"

Here's the logic behind the table setup. Terms are a set of 13 dates. Terms are predefined (think template). "Students" are assigned to the "Term". However, in order to track attendance or to manage a rescheduling, I want to copy the records in "Term Dates" to "Scheduled Term" when the "Student" is assigned their schedule. The user selects the term from a pop-up list, there is a button to "Assign" that term to the student in a layout displaying records from "Student".

The dates in "Term Dates" will not change and serve as a template to expedite assigning the dates to the students. "Scheduled Term" is where I want to manage attendance and rescheduling (change of dates or any date deviation on a per student basis).

All I need to do is copy the related records from the "Term Dates" table into the "Scheduled Term" table. The primary key from the "Student" table will be copied as a foreign key into the "Scheduled Term" table on each row that also contains the "Date" field from the "Term Date" table.

Tables/relationships attached in graphic.

It should be really easy, but I'm out of coffee and need to get some sleep before this drives me insane. Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Outcomes