1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 6:49 PM by taylorsharpe

Easter Dates (Improved Version 2)

taylorsharpe

I previously posted this and someone asked me for this file, but with it as a single calculation field instead of a script. So here is version 2 with both methods.

Well, it is that time of year and I was having to do some date calucations based on Easter (e.g., Mardis Gras, etc.).

Attached is a FM file with a script that will calculate Western (Roman Catholic) Gregorian Easter Dates for years 326-2599. Note that is does not calculate the Eastern Orthodox (Julian Calendar) Easter.

Since I had to do this work and thought others might be interested, here it is. You would think it was an easy calculation, but the script is not so simple. Oh well, computers make us think think things are easy because they calculate them so fast.

Here it is! Feel free to use as you see fit.

• 1. Re: Easter Dates (Improved Version 2)
          taylorsharpe

By the way, I learned the Council of Nicea (325 AD) set the formula for Easter and based it on the Pachal Full Moon.  One thing they did not think about back then was that the Paschal Full Moon date can be different depending on which time zone you are in.  So if you technically followed the Council of Nicea, then Easter could be on two different dates depending on which part of the world you are in.  But they decided to add to the council's interpretation to use just one date. 

As a FileMaker developer, it is amazing the weird things you have to figure out in the name of database development - haha.