5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 5:34 PM by StanMillar

How do I open Assisted Install.txt FMP12 on Windows

StanMillar

Hi all

Some time ago I found instructions in the Knowledge Base (KB Answer ID: 7099) on how to modify Assisted Install.txt which was listed as covering up to and including FMP12.

I can modify the file on my Mac but can't work out how to find it in the Windows Installer. It's supposed to be in a directory called Files but I can't work out how to get into the installer to find it.

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do I open Assisted Install.txt FMP12 on Windows
          BowdenData

Stan,

If you have an electronic install (a single EXE file) of FMP12 or earlier, and double click on it, it will first unzip/unpack the contents to a folder in the same location as the EXE file. The folder will be named something like "FileMaker Pro 12". By default, after the unpacking, the actual installer will launch and begin the process. Stop/Cancel the install process at this point.

You should now be able to go into the FileMaker Pro 12 folder and in there, see the folder called Files. Inside this is the Assisted Install.txt file.

Note that at the root of the FileMaker Pro 12 folder, there will be a file Setup.exe. After you have modified the Assisted Install.txt file, you can double-click on this Setup.exe and it should begin the process. I have found on some machines, this action fails. I have not seen any obvious pattern to why it fails though. If this happens, go back into the Files folder and you will see another Setup.exe in there. Double-click to launch this one and it should proceed as normal.

HTH.

Doug

• 2. Re: How do I open Assisted Install.txt FMP12 on Windows
            StanMillar

Thanks Doug. I'll give it a try.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I open Assisted Install.txt FMP12 on Windows
              StanMillar

Hi Doug

Thanks for that. Worked perfectly.

Anyone have any idea how I can now recompress it in a way that Setup.exe runs automatically when the archive is double-clicked?

• 4. Re: How do I open Assisted Install.txt FMP12 on Windows
                BowdenData

Stan,

Not at all sure about this, but seem to recall that with a tool like WinZip, you have the option to compress things to a self-extracting EXE file (instead of .zip). I am then thinking that when this self-extracting EXE uncompresses things, it might execute the autorun.inf file that is in the root of the expanded folder.

I have to think that a proper Windows installer tool could do this for sure (repackage the files and autorun the setup.exe when it expands). I know that there are many people on this list who have experience with these installer applications, so hopefully, someone will chime in here.

HTH.

Doug

• 5. Re: How do I open Assisted Install.txt FMP12 on Windows
                  StanMillar

Thanks again Doug. My IT guru has been trying to zip the file tro auto run when opened, so far without success.

Might have to do it by remote access to my users' machines. That way, we can control what isd installed.