1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 7:06 AM by wimdecorte

Backup strategy for solution with external containers to external network drive?

jgalt

I have a solution that has several external containers with several gigs of unprotected images and PDF files. Since FileMaker Server 12 on OSX will not let me use the server's built-in schedules to backup to a network hard drive, I am using Carbon Copy Cloner to move the files from a local backup to the network drive. The problem that I am having is that the Carbon Copy Cloner backups are taking a very long time (approximately 6 hours compared to the 1 minute that the server takes to backup to the local drive) and I am filling up our backup drive with so many redundant copies of the container files.

Does anyone have a better strategy for performing this sort of backup?

• 1. Re: Backup strategy for solution with external containers to external network drive?
          wimdecorte

You wouldn't want FMS to back up to the network for precisely this reason: fragile and slow.  For its normal backups FMS can take advantage of hard links which makes it very fast and very efficient with the hard disk space.

Hard Links are normally not preserved when copying to an external drive or a network drive which is why it is so much slower and uses a lot of disk space on the receiving end.

Look into using a copy tool that uses Rsync 3.7 (which is more modern than what ships with OSX - cc uses the OSX version of rsync).  There are ways to preserve hard links, certainly to external drives, not sure to networked drives.

One option is to zip the backup before pushing it to the network.  But that is going to be processor intensive on the FMS box.