4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 12:03 PM by MarkNZ

Vertical Portal

MarkNZ

Hi all,

Can you have a portal run vertical? with each field under the other..hope the question is not to obsurd..

• 1. Re: Vertical Portal
          pthomas

Hi Mark,

I think the answer is "kind of" depending on exactly what you are after.

If you are wanting to display the data like this:

Record 1 Name

Address

Email

etc...

Record 2 Name

Address

Email

etc...

Then you can do this by simply making the portal row large enough to display each of the fields listed like that.

If however you are wanting to display your data like:

Record 1 Name           Record 2 Name           Record 3 Name

Address                         Address                        Address

Email                             Email                             Email

etc...                               etc...                               etc...

Then yes you can, but it is a bit harder to set up and maintain and you loose some of the flexibility.

Basically you need to set up a new portal for each of your "vertical groups", so in my above example I would have 3 portals set up.

In the configuration for the portals the first one would be configured to have the initial row = 1 and the number of rows = 1.

The second portal would be set to initial row = 2, number = 1.

The third set to initial row = 3, number = 1.

And so on...

You can play around with the initial/number options for a portal if you want to end up with different combinations:

Record 1     Record 4     Record 7

Record 2     Record 5     Record 8

Record 3     Record 6     Record 9

Would be:

Initial 1, Number 3

Initial 4, Number 3

Initial 7, Number 3

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2. Re: Vertical Portal
            MarkNZ

Hi Paul good answers..  I am trying to create a portal that shows all of the fields on a single record ie: Container fields..  which will have pdfs, brouchures in them..

Then I want to drag drop them into seperate, another container field on a different layout.

Im wanting to have all the brochures available when creating for example a new record...hence the portal to show all bropchures all the time..ready todrag and drop...what do you think.

The other way is to just script a button to open a new window with the brochure origin record/layout displayed to choose from ..drag and drop..

What would you suggest

cheers

Mark

• 3. Re: Vertical Portal
              Malcolm

Hi Paul good answers..  I am trying to create a portal that shows all of the fields on a single record ie: Container fields..  which will have pdfs, brouchures in them..

Then I want to drag drop them into seperate, another container field on a different layout.

Im wanting to have all the brochures available when creating for example a new record...hence the portal to show all bropchures all the time..ready todrag and drop...what do you think.

The other way is to just script a button to open a new window with the brochure origin record/layout displayed to choose from ..drag and drop..

I'd go with the new window, showing the original records in a list view. It gives the user more flexibility as they can arrange windows to suit themselves.

malcolm

• 4. Re: Vertical Portal
                MarkNZ

Thanks Malcolm...Looks like the way.