1 2 3 4 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 11:09 AM by philmodjunk

Duplicate values produced using Get(UUID) function in 39,732 records

itraining

G'day everybody

Question:

If the Get(UUID) function is set to auto-enter its calculated value into a text field, with validation on (unique values only), what happens when a duplicate UUID value is calculated?

Background:

In a newly converted FMPv12 solution, I encountered an issue with indexing and a value list. The latest troubleshooting attempt is to create a UniqueID text field set to auto-enter a calculated Get(UUID) value. The data would then be exported and re-imported using a "matching" import to re-populate the fields and hopefully resolve the corrupt index issue.

I created a script (see PDF attachment) to loop through the 39,732 records, using Set Field to populate the new UniqueID text field. In this instance I left validation OFF.

I ran the script (only once) and it produced 2 records with identical UUID values. Considering the possible permutations and combinations of calculated UUID values I was flabbergasted. In a billion records, maybe a duplicate value but 39,732 records, surely not. See attached PDF showing screenshots of the duplicate records and other useful Field/OS/Version information.

Consequently, I have already lost confidence in the Get(UUID) function and my question (above) is now a real concern "If the Get(UUID) function is set to auto-enter its calculated value in a text field, with validation on (unique values only), what happens when a duplicate UUID value is calculated?"

Bye for now.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

1 2 3 4 Previous Next