3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 2:59 AM by nickorr

Connecting FileMaker to OpenSource Web Platform...

louie23

Hello guys, I have been googling for a solutions that can connect FileMaker Database to any open source Web Platform like joomla, wordress etc. There are solutions presented but some tried it and did not work. Just wish to clarify some points here which I tried several times I failed to connect when I tested it.

1. I quote, in "Remote MySQL' button and enter in the relevant domain you're connecting from or a % for a wildcard." how can I set and configure it correctly? and what is % wildcard mean?

2. Do I have to set my Static IP to try it?

3. I have set up my TCP/IP Server but is the default port on ODBC connector be used or do I have to get it from my host?

Thank you guys and hope I can resolve this...More Power FileMaker Community!

• 1. Re: Connecting FileMaker to OpenSource Web Platform...
          nickorr

louie,

Don't use ESS or ODBC to connect to joomla or wordpress, the result may work but you're making it harder for yourself.  Most of these CMS' have an API for accessing them, usually via Web Services.  You then use HTTP calls from something like the BaseElements plugin to access them instead.  www.goya.com.au/baseelements/plugin

This way, the complexities of the SQL structure are hidden and you get access to a simple interface for requesting data.

Cheers,

Nick

• 2. Re: Connecting FileMaker to OpenSource Web Platform...
            louie23

Thanks Nick for your great advice. How do you configure this?

• 3. Re: Connecting FileMaker to OpenSource Web Platform...
              nickorr

It depends on the platform and the data your site is managing.  Have a look for a module to do either a Web Service API or a RESTful Web service.

You essentially setup your website as a Web Service "server" and then FileMaker Pro becomes the client.  You have a lot of configuration options in the server setup, so what you end up with will depend on what you want to do.  Speak to your web developers to get an idea of the options available.

If you know what it is you want to acheive in terms of data flow back and forth, and know the platform details, we may be able to help a little more.

Cheers,

Nick