8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 10:18 PM by itraining

Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error

itraining

G'day everybody

Question:

Has anyone encountered the "invalid CEN header (bad signature)" error using FMSAv12 (12.0.3.327) and more important, found a workaround?

Background:

Using my testing server (FMSA12 on my iMac), I attempted to upload 6 databases.

Launching the "Admin Console" from the web browser (localhost:16000) I got an "update Java" prompt.

This update installed OK. I didn't catch the version but I guess it is the Java 7 Update 11 advertised recently (see below).

Java Update (Version 7 Update 11) Addresses Security Vulnerability

ATTENTION: FileMaker Server 11 and 12, and FileMaker Server 11 and 12 Advanced users are advised to download and install this update. ISSUE: A vulnerability in Java 7, that can be exploited through web browsers on the Mac, has been reported. WORKAROUND: Oracle has released a Java update (Version 7 Update 11) to address this security concern. Download thisupdate

Visually inspecting the progress, the dialog box indicated that 5 of the 6 databases appeared to upload successfully.

The 6th database looked like it had completed uploading when the "invalid CEN header (bad signature)" dialog box appeared (see attachment).

As a result, 0 of the databases were actually uploaded (even the folder I created for the databases disappeared).

Quit the Admin Console, relaunched it from the web browser (localhost:16000).

This time I got a "Java version insecure" prompt (see attached screenshot).

The updater installed Java 7 Update 13 successfully.

Relaunched Admin Console from the web browser (localhost:16000).

Attempted to upload the 6 databases again and got to the "successfully uploaded" screen.

Closer inspection revealed:

(a) only 5 of the 6 databases had actually uploaded

(b) only 4 of the 5 uploaded databases were "Open". Not a big concern but 1 remained "closed" and had to be "opened" manually.

Finally, I attempted to upload the remaining (elusive) database.

Once again I got the "invalid CEN header (bad signature)" error.

Repeated attempts to upload the database consistently failed with the "invalid CEN header (bad signature)" error.

Troubleshooting:

(a) restart the iMac (server). [FAIL]

(b) Save A Copy (compressed) of the database and attempt upload. [FAIL]

(c) crack open beer at 3 PM in the afternoon to calm my nerves. [SUCCESS]

If anyone else has encountered the "invalid CEN header (bad signature)" error using FMSAv12 (12.0.3.327) I am hoping you can respond with a possible workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 1. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
          psijmons

You may have a corruption in one the files you are attempting to upload.

What do you see if you do a Recover action on the troubled files?

• 2. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
            itraining

Thanks for the suggestion psijmons.

The file in question is 43 Gb and I attempted the following troubleshooting steps.

Troubleshooting:

(1a) Save A Copy (Compressed) [11 hours]

(1b) Upload to FMSA12 FAILS with the "invaild CEN header (Bad signature)" error. The next step of the upload wizard displays "File successfully uploaded" but the file did NOT upload. [1 hour]

(2a) Recover... database and run the Consistency check. 0 bad blocks found [15 minutes]

(2b) Upload to FMSA12 FAILS with the "invaild CEN header (Bad signature)" error. The next step of the upload wizard displays "File successfully uploaded" but the file did NOT upload. [1 hour]

(3a) Recover... database. New database built without detecting any problems. Scanned and rebuilt 5720389 blocks, dropped 0 invalid data. Schema and Strcuture scanned. 0 items modified.[12 hours]

(3b) Upload to FMSA12 FAILS with the "invaild CEN header (Bad signature)" error. The next step of the upload wizard displays "File successfully uploaded" but the file did NOT upload. [1 hour]

(4a) Stop database and web serving services in Admin Console.

(4b) Copy database to FileMaker Server "databases" folder

(4c) Change permissions to match parent folder and sibling files

(4d) Re-start database service

(4e) The database opened OK is accessible across the network.

After all that effort, it looks like Java and the Admin Console process to "upload" a database don't like this particular database.

Sneaking the database in via the back door provided a successful workaround.

Thank you Oracle, Apple and FileMaker Inc (especially you Oracle and your "write once deploy everywhere Java bullshit") for absorbing many hours of my life (that I will never get back).

Bye for now.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

2a Consistency check 0 bad blocks.png

3a Recover 0 problems detected.png

ERROR invalid CEN header (bad signature).png

ERROR File successfully uploaded bullshit.png

• 3. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
              wimdecorte

I want to be gentle here... but a 40GB+ file!? Are there no parts of this that are fairly static that can be broken out to their own files?  We know one FM file can hold up to one million tables but that does not mean we have to construct a solution to be all within one file.  The backup implications are enormous.  As are the file consistency checks, recovery implications, ...

Trying to upload a 40GB chunk of data is just asking for trouble.  Any network hiccup is going to throw a wrench in the works.  Especially if you trying to upload on a WiFi network.

• 4. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
                itraining

Hi Wim

I agree Wim. Actually I mis-quoted the size of the database. The entire solution is 6 database files (43 Gb) and this single file is 24 Gb due to the thousands of photographs stored in container fields in the solution. 24 Gb is still asking for trouble in my opinion.

The solution is probably 10 years old, originating from a couple of in-house developers (staff).

Next a couple of external certified FileMaker Pro Developers have worked on the solution and I am simply the next person in line to help out.

Ironically, this entire mess originated with the intent of dramatically reducing the file size of the database(s). I converted the client from FMS11/FMP11 to FMS12/FMP12 and the idea was to switch to managed container fields and store all of the photographs external to the database. I copied the entire 43 Gb "live" solution to hard drive and uploaded to my FMSA12 at home to "test" the managed container functionality. After many hours of unforeseen hurdles, I can finally move forward and begin testing.

Thanks for the comment though, it is a good warning to heed. I must admit I am guilty of trying to get away with 1 file because it "feels" simpler to develop and manage. However, having experienced several of my solutions throw a corrupt table, recovering a separate database file (aka FMP6) is easier.

Bye for now.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 5. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
                  LyndsayHowarth

Michael,

If this is a medical DB I might need to warn you about this client....

Sent from my iPad

Lyndsay Howarth

11th Hour Group Pty Ltd

• 6. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
                    itraining

Hi Lyndsay

Thanks for the heads up but it is not medical.

It is Asbestos Audit in Windsor.

It looks like Debbie and pntech (Peter?) have worked on the database recently and then some in-house staff for many years before that.

Michael

• 7. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
                      stephensexton

Hi Michael - I encountered this same error when uploading a couple of files a month or so ago.  It seemed to me that it related to uploading the externally stored container data.  The workaround that I used was to upload the 2 files (interface and data files) with "FILES" folder removed temporarily (i.e. to prevent uploading the externally stored data with the data file).  This resulted in no error.  I then deleted the records containing the broken links (container data) in the server-hosted file and re-imported them from the original backup. 

• 8. Re: Java 7 Update 11 and Update 13 - invalid CEN header (bad signature) error
                        itraining

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the suggestion.

In this instance I had not got to the externally stored container data stage.

All of the images were stored internally (pre-FMP12 style).

Michael