9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 10:55 AM by lhoong

Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog

FritzMills3

This just happened while using 11, so I'm not sure if it affects 12: While creating a calc field, I wanted to use a field named "TM_12_000" from another table, so I double-clicked it in the list in the calculation dialog. However, what got inserted into my calculation was the "trademark" symbol, ™ (option-2 on a Mac), instead of the capital letters "TM". I don't know if that's a Mac issue, a Filemaker issue, or if it's because I have PopChar installed, but I've never seen PopChar insert anything unless I've opened its window first, and specifically clicked on the symbol or character. It's not a big deal, but I thought I'd point it out.

• 1. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
          ch0c0halic

I've seen it too. As far as I can tell its an OS character substitution. Done because the OS designers think they know more about what you want than you do.

• 2. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
            jml

Open your System Preferences and select Language & Text.  Click the Text tab and uncheck the On checkbox for TM.

• 3. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
              lhoong

This can be turned off/on on Mac OS X:

1. Open System Preferences - navigate to Language & Text.

2. Select the Text tab and disable "Use symbol and text substitution" or an individual entry in the substitution list.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

Voice: (678) 313-5604

Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.com

FileMaker Certified Developer

• 4. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
                FritzMills3

Thank you! It's amazing, the things hidden in Mac OS these days!

• 5. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
                  FritzMills3

So now my question is why this behavior only occurs when double-clicking a field name in the calculation dialog. Why didn't it happen when I named the field "TM_12_000" in the first place? I actually have quite a few fields with "TM" in their names in this particular file, but I never saw the substitution occur until double-clicking the field name to add it to a calculation. And, for the record, the substitution didn't occur in Safari when I started this discussion and typed the field name (even though I hadn't changed my OS Text preferences at that point). For some reason Filemaker only responds to this OS preference when double-clicking a field name in the calculation dialog. Note: when I first started this discussion, I was using FMP 11, but the same behavior also occurs in FMP 12. So I would say it's a Filemaker bug to the extent that Filemaker doesn't respond consistently to the Text preference settings. Either it should always replace "TM" with "™", or it should never replace it. Actually, in my opinion I don't think Filemaker should be replacing text strings when double-clicking in the calculation dialog box. It would probably be OK if it did it while naming fields in the first place. So I guess I don't really have a problem with FMP's inconsistent behavior, but in this case I think they got it backwards.

• 6. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
                    TimGriffith

Are you on a Mac? On a Mac, in the Language and Text system preferences / Text, uncheck replace TM with ™

• 7. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
                      FritzMills3

Yes, thank you. Others have already pointed that out. My question is why does it only happen when I double-click on a field in the calculation dialog? The substitution didn't occur when I typed the name of the field in when I created the field. Nor did it occur when I typed the name of the field into Safari when I wrote my first entry for this discussion. Both of those times I typed "TM" on my Mac running OS X 10.8.2, and neither time did the OS change what I had typed. The only time it changed is when I double-clicked on the name of the field in FMP's calculation dialog box to insert that field's name into a calclulation.

• 8. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
                        TimGriffith

I suspect that when you copy to the clipboard that the system OS takes over the text, whereas when defining fields, the Filemaker API did not access system OS preferences.

• 9. Re: Bug When Clicking On Field Name In Calc Dialog
                          lhoong

I believe this is determined on an app-by-app basis. For example, in Safari, you can customize the substitution  behavior via menu Edit>Substitutions. In the iWork apps, the auto-correction preferences supersede the settings in System Preferences. TextWrangler/BBEdit handles this via menu Edit>Special Characters...

As for FileMaker, when in the Manage Database or calc. dialogs, control-click or right-click brings up the text substitution options, including "Change back"...

So much for system-wide consistency (when text substitution is enabled)...I have text substitution off on my dev. Macs.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

Voice: (678) 313-5604

Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.com

FileMaker Certified Developer