AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to recover/resume from computer crash 1/3 way through external container storage processing?

Question asked by itraining on Feb 16, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 16, 2013 by psijmons

G'day everyone

Questions:

(a) How do I restart/retrigger the process of moving internally stored container field data to externally stored data if the original process was interrupted by a computer crash?

(b) If I have to start from scratch, how do I do that because 18,000 records have "remote:ImageXXX.jpg" text for the file names (already stored externally) yet the remaining 51,000 records need to be processed (moved from internal to external storage)?

Background:

Today I started experimenting/testing the external container storage on a 24 Gb database file using FMS12/FMP12 on Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).

The table has 69.408 records and 2 container fields.

I modified the Storage options on both container fields to use external storage and I opted for open storage instead of secure.

At 1:30 PM, FileMaker Pro started moving the images from the internally stored container fields to the externally stored (hosted) folders at 1:30 PM.

12 hours later, around 1:00 AM, approximately 18,000 images had been created in the FMS hosted folders (leaving only 51,000 records/images to process).

At 1:05 AM my iMac crashed and upon automatic restart the report log showed BSD thread: Java was the cause.

<rant>(Thank you again to Apple and Oracle, particularly Oracle ... Java is really making my life run smoother than I could have possibly imagined over the past few days. Larry, I hope you enjoy sailing in your multi-million dollar yacht while your shitty software makes the rest of our lives a living fucking hell!).</rant>

FileMaker Pro was approximately 18,000 out of 70,000 (25%) of the way through its process of moving internally stored photographs to externally stored (hosted) image files.

(a) How do I restart/retrigger the process of moving internally stored container field data to externally stored data if the original process was interrupted by a computer crash?

(b) If I have to start from scratch, how do I do that because 18,000 records have "remote:ImageXXX.jpg" text for the file names (already stored externally) yet the remaining 51,000 records need to be processed (moved from internal to external storage)?

Bye for now.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Auatralia)

Outcomes