1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 16, 2013 12:52 PM by psijmons

How to recover/resume from computer crash 1/3 way through external container storage processing?

itraining

G'day everyone

Questions:

(a) How do I restart/retrigger the process of moving internally stored container field data to externally stored data if the original process was interrupted by a computer crash?

(b) If I have to start from scratch, how do I do that because 18,000 records have "remote:ImageXXX.jpg" text for the file names (already stored externally) yet the remaining 51,000 records need to be processed (moved from internal to external storage)?

Background:

Today I started experimenting/testing the external container storage on a 24 Gb database file using FMS12/FMP12 on Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).

The table has 69.408 records and 2 container fields.

I modified the Storage options on both container fields to use external storage and I opted for open storage instead of secure.

At 1:30 PM, FileMaker Pro started moving the images from the internally stored container fields to the externally stored (hosted) folders at 1:30 PM.

12 hours later, around 1:00 AM, approximately 18,000 images had been created in the FMS hosted folders (leaving only 51,000 records/images to process).

At 1:05 AM my iMac crashed and upon automatic restart the report log showed BSD thread: Java was the cause.

<rant>(Thank you again to Apple and Oracle, particularly Oracle ... Java is really making my life run smoother than I could have possibly imagined over the past few days. Larry, I hope you enjoy sailing in your multi-million dollar yacht while your shitty software makes the rest of our lives a living fucking hell!).</rant>

FileMaker Pro was approximately 18,000 out of 70,000 (25%) of the way through its process of moving internally stored photographs to externally stored (hosted) image files.

(a) How do I restart/retrigger the process of moving internally stored container field data to externally stored data if the original process was interrupted by a computer crash?

(b) If I have to start from scratch, how do I do that because 18,000 records have "remote:ImageXXX.jpg" text for the file names (already stored externally) yet the remaining 51,000 records need to be processed (moved from internal to external storage)?

Bye for now.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Auatralia)

• 1. Re: How to recover/resume from computer crash 1/3 way through external container storage processing?
          psijmons

hi Michael,

you could loop through the records with

VerifyContainer(ContainerFieldName) returns:

0 (False) if files saved externally were modified or deleted.

1 (True) if no changes or deletions occurred.

? if the Photo field is not a container field.

Are you doing this on a live db or on test files?

Add a sort of field counter that is committed before you move to the next record to  see at which record the crash occurred, this may happen again if a container field contains a corrupted file, it is not necesaarily Java related.

The remove the contents of that container before you do the conversion