1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 20, 2013 3:05 AM by colins

Filemaker client virtualization

johnyx2

Hello,

I am looking to setup remote access to a Filemaker database as shown in the diagram in page 7 in http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fmp/fmp11_citrix_guide.pdf

I am not looking to use Citrix, but this will give you an idea of what I need.

There is the Filemaker server running on a Mac Mini and a Windows 7 64-bit intended to act as the Virtual Server for the Filemaker Client, to which only 1 (one) user will connect off site over the internet.

Given that this is not a big enterprise deployment, any suggestion on the cheapest and easiest way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Filemaker client virtualization
          colins

Hello,

If you only want single desktop access, by which I mean one computer, one remote desktop user at a time, then I use RealVNC. I find it works pretty well and the pricing isn't exhorbitant.

I also have a Mini OS 10.6 Server, on which runs Aqua Connect, which allows multiple remote desktop users (much like Windows Server). I like both RealVNC and AC, but find that for part-time personnel, who require remote access only to their computers from home for e-mail, Filemaker etc., RealVNC does the trick.

For my own access to desktops I also use Timbuktu, but would not recommend this as a solution to virtualization.

Hope that's of some use,

CS