6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 5:58 PM by tb3

Importing Tables & Fields

tb3

Documentation says I can go to File-Manage-Database, (on source file) choose tables tab, choose table in list and copy it using a button on the screen. There is no copy button. I have create, change & delete buttons.That's it. I need how-to help, please. Thanks

• 1. Re: Importing Tables & Fields
          gwinzeler

What version do you have?

• 2. Re: Importing Tables & Fields
            tb3

FileMaker Pro 11 and using "The Missing Manual" for that version.

• 3. Re: Importing Tables & Fields
              sprosser

tb3:

Sorry, I'd address you by name if I could.

You'll need FileMaker Pro Advanced to copy/paste tables. It's well worth the extra money for this feature and many others that are aimed at developers.

Hope this helps,

Susan Prosser

DBHQ

Co-author of O'Reilly's FileMaker Pro 12:  The Missing Manual

• 4. Re: Importing Tables & Fields
                tb3

Hi Susan! My name is Thom. Thanks for the reply. Please allow me to briefly tell you exactly what I'm trying to do. Then if you think I need to buy new software I'll look at it.

I purchased Filemaker Pro 11 (and the book) when it was the current version. I worked on setting-up for several full days and made great progress but didn't quite clear the hurdle. It has been somewhere close to the top of my do-list ever since. It is quite a learning curve as it is unrelated to anything else I do. At this point I've entered thousands of contacts from other files and sifted, sorted and deleted them as I using scripts. My system is set-up so that I can continue doing this weekly as new lists come in. All this is good, but the interface is one long line across the page with 54 columns. I really like the Contact Management Template. If I could somehow get it merged with the file work I've already done, I think I could make adjustments to make it work well for me. So far striking out.

I set today and the next two days aside to make this work. This should not be an ongoing design process for me. Once done it should be done for a long time. What do I need to do?

Your advice much appreciated,

Thom Barrineau

• 5. Re: Importing Tables & Fields
                  sprosser

Thom:

I'm  guessing a bit here, but think that you might be asking how to move the data from the file you've been working on into the Contact Management template. If I'm right about that, you wouldn't use the Copy/Paste tables process from your original question. That's just for moving your schema (the tables and fields). If you want to move the data, then you'll open the target database (Contact Management), choose File -> Import Records and then point to your database. You'll need to match the fields in your database with the right ones in Contact Management. Check out FileMaker Pro's Help files for more info, or take a look at page 826 in The Missing Manual for the details.

Of course this process wouldn't move your scripts over to the Contact Management file. You can do that, but it's a separate process and it requires FileMaker Pro Advanced. For a completely different approach, you could try to reproduce the Contact Management layouts in the file you created. That way you'd be "merging" the Contact Management interface with your data, tables and scripts.

Hope this helps,

Susan Prosser

DBHQ

Co-author of O'Reilly's FileMaker Pro 12:  The Missing Manual

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Importing Tables & Fields
                    tb3

Yes that helps. I've been playing with it all afternoon and belive I'll be able to knock it out tomorrow. FYI. I printed the table I designed for the DB I created. (the one I wanted to import) Then I typed it into the the table being used by the Contact Management Template and changed the name of this table to match the name I used when it was created in the DB. Now Contact Management recognizes it. I just wanted to move the tables & fields. Once this was done they were easy to repopulate. The scripts were easy to import - don't think I have the advanced software version. Having changed the name of the table, they now work, I was getting a missing table error before. I'm now working on replacing the references (or tags or whatever they are called) on the layout screen from the old DB to the one I replaced it with. I'm testing as I go and everything seems to be working. With luck, no surprises.

Really appreciate your responses,

Thom