1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 1:05 PM by deninger

Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7

fsax2000

Hi there,

I'm using FMSA 12 hosted on a Mac mini running OS X 10.7.5. I've always used remote management with screen sharing to administer the MAC and to work on FMSA. With the new JAVA update to version 7.15, all JAVA panels are not visible while remotely accessing the MAC. This includes the administration panel of FMSA, and the JAVA control panel itself. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thnanks in advance,

Francesco

• 1. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
          BruceHerbach

I reported this as a bug to Oracle.  They verified it,  but didn't say when it would be fixed.  The work around is to either use Java 6. which isn't recommended these days or connect a monitor to the remote computer.  The monitor doesn't have to be on, but once connected it the Java 7 apps work correctly. 

Bruce

• 2. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
            fsax2000

Thanks Bruce,

Unfortunately I don't have a monitor to connect, except for emergency use only.....

Java recently released update 15 of Java 7. Do you know if this fixes the bug you reported?

Francesco

• 3. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
              Operadad

Unfortunately this is not entirly true, although now I will need to run more tests.

We have seen this problems across computers with monitors attached. In an in-office test, I could log into another computer and see the java driven windows--he's on Mountain Lion, but he could not log in and see the Java screens on my computer--I'm on Lion. However, my former shortcuts to various Admin Consoles are working again (I've got Java 7.15), but his aren't (he doesn't trust Java anymore)

We don't like Java right now.

• 4. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                BruceHerbach

I checked the Oracle bug and was unable to find it on their web site.  The e-mail they sent said i would be a a few days before it was available.  At this point it is a couple of weeks.  The bug ID is 9000009.  So no telling when/if it wil be fixed.

At the moment,  all of my console aps are working...  Hope it stays that way.

• 5. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                  Lemmtech

I use Logmein for all my remote management and it seems to works fine perhaps you can start using that.

• 6. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                    taylorsharpe

The easiest way to share your server via remote management (needs turned on in Sharing system preference) is to go to   Macintosh HD/System/Library/Core Services/Screen Sharing.app and make an alias of it in your dock.  Then whenever you want to share a screen, click on it, put in the IP, and voila, screen sharing using remote management's security authentication.  Best of all, it is a free app that comes with all Macs.  And it can even handle screen sharing of a VNC server Windows machine.  However, it works most elegantly with Macs and the Remote Management features. 

• 7. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                      s

Even easier (or perhaps, just as easy) is to use the Finder's "Connect to Server" command under the Go menu. Just type in vnc://<server_ip_address> then click the Plus sign to add it as a favorite and then click Connect.

• 8. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                        Operadad

Tayor,

You are correct, but you may not have seen this dubious problem up close and personal. When accesing a romote mac with Screen Sharing, and then attempting to, say, open an admin console, or maybe, look at the java preferences, you get a blank window--The buttons are all there but you can't see them.

In the following image you have...

top left: What you get when you click the new Java preferences (from Oracle)(7.x)

lower left: The actuall java preferences pane

top right: That's actually the FileMaker Admin Console start up dialog.

lower right: a security dialog that says something, and resulted in NOT getting to the admin console which will be just as blank.

And this is only part of problem. When we had Filemaker Log into this computer to investigate another issues, they couldn't get anywhere either. It turns out there remote software is from Oracle. We've even tried using our Remote software, and we get nothing. Weve even tried doing a screen capture (grab) on the remote screen...still nothing. And, this computer has a monitor attached to it.

To say the least we want to see the Java app destroyed and replaced with somthing--let's call it--"native".

missing data3.jpg

And this only part of our issue with java.

• 9. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                          taylorsharpe

How interesting.  Actually, I did run into this one time and I thought it was a fluke.  It wasn't a problem since it had a monitor on it and I didn't pursue it.

Between the various Java vulnerabilities lately and Apple removing Java from being part of the OS, I wouldn't be surprised if FileMaker doesn't go back to the old FM 8 days when we had a regular app for the console.  Java was a cool idea in FM 9 because they only had to make one app that could be used on most any platform.  But I bet we'll be back to a regular app for whenever FM13 comes out and it will be welcome!

• 10. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                            BruceHerbach

Last week our local user group had a couple of FMI reps in to demonstrate ExecuteSQL.  We discussed the Java issue.  They had two recomendations.  First run the FMS Console Java app on a remote computer where Java can display text and buttons.  Second get very familier with the FMS Command line. 

If you open a terminal session on the FMS server and enter the command fmsadmin help commands

it will list all of the available commands.

Bruce

• 11. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                              Lemmtech

I agree. I think they are working very hard at trying to replace the Java platform for the console and I sure hope it's ready by the next release!

• 12. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                                fsax2000

Thanks Bruce,

This is exactly what I did, but working with the terminal is a great limitation. Last week I tried uploading a DB and apparently succeded, but was unable to create/modify records. At the end I preferred using an emergency monitor to perform the task. Is it just my feeling or does the command line have large limitations over the control panel?

Francesco

• 13. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                                  fsax2000

Yes Operadad,

this is exactly the problem...... I hate Java 7

• 14. Re: Apple remote management, screen sharing and Java 7
                                    BruceHerbach

Francesco,

For the most part,  I am able to use my MacBook and run the Admin console to upload, open,close..databases, and set up schedules for back up.  I try to use the command line on the server when doing a shutdown or restart and have a remote desktop open.  You can do a lot with command line.  It's just not as easy as the GUI version.

I would like to see FMI get away from Java.  It's wasted way to much of our time.... So lets see what the next version of FileMaker brings...  Hope..Hope..Hope.....

Bruce

1 2 Previous Next