1 2 3 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 6:58 AM by rrrichie

FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go

derisco

On the desktops Exit Application exits Filemaker, on FileMaker Go it leaves you in the Filemaker file browser, causing users another step to exit which is a pain. Anybody know of another way to get around this undocumented feature?

• 1. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
          Malcolm

What iOS app do you know that has a Quit command? In iOS the application "owns" the device. The only way to kill it is to press the home button.

malcolm

• 2. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
            derisco

Then how can I exit to the main screen or go to the main screen instead of go into FileMaker go browser. Or when the home button is pressed log off server and or close the file.

• 3. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
              jml

You can exit the main screen by tapping the windows button (top left of FM Go on iPad) and then tapping Close All or another option.  To go to the main screen instead of the FM Go Files list, create a webclip (.mobileconfig profile using App Maker.fmp12 https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-2654) that places your custom icon on the iOS desktop.

• 4. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                derisco

I have an icon to go to the file in fmgo just cant get back to main screen by script or programmatically

Thanks

• 5. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                  DavidJondreau

What's wrong with the home button?

• 6. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                    derisco

It doesn't close the remote files or local files

• 7. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                      cowtrax

is there anyway to get around that?  I would prefer to not have the users get to that screen.  they are very basic in there knowledge and I would like them to be able to get back to the ipad screen. 

Also, does anyone know the best way to set up a shortcut to allow the user to go directly into FM Go from the iPad screen?

thanks

• 8. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                        DavidJondreau

Well, you can't trigger an on close script by hitting the home button, is that necessary? Otherwise, I don't see what difference it makes if the file is still open locally. Remotely, the file will disconnect at a time based a modifiable setting in Extended Privileges.

• 9. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                          derisco

Besides looking poorly written and hard for end users when you use the home button to exit on remote files when you open FM Go for any file it has you log back into the remote file you were last in so you have to cancel that login to get to the file you want. Coming from other development environments Filemaker has some of the weirdest restrictions on some of the easiest solutions in other environments.

created by DavidJondreau in FileMaker Go - View the full discussion

Well, you can't trigger an on close script by hitting the home button, is that necessary? Otherwise, I don't see what difference it makes if the file is still open locally. Remotely, the file will disconnect at a time based a modifiable setting in Extended Privileges.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in FileMaker Go by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2013 • San Diego, California • August 12-15 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 10. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                            jml

As David said, you can avoid the logging back in issue for a specified time using the extended privilege "fmreauthenticate…". 

derisco wrote:

… when you open FM Go for any file it has you log back into the remote file you were last in …

• 11. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                              DavidJondreau

FM Go's behavior is completely consistent with the behavior of other iOS apps. If I have a few windows open in Safari, there's no "close windows and go to home" button. And when I hit Home and come back to the last window I was looking at and all my windows are still pointing at the URLs I left them in. If it's been a while (not sure, a few hours, a day?) then the windows will attempt to reload.

I can't think of any app that has "go to home" feature within itself.

I don't want to come across as picking on you, I see a lot of complaints about FileMaker on these forums, many of them about features that FileMaker is supposedly missing. And a lot of the time, it's the complainer whose expectations are unreasonable or "weird".

• 12. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                                cowtrax

Thanks for your input.  The problem is that most apps written using FM are very likely to be business related and typically they have a preset expectation or their "norm" which may be different than other IOS apps, such as games, etc.  Not saying either one is right or wrong but  it might be good just to have the ability to exit a program and go back to the IOS screen.  Many users may not even know about FM Go and to do their job using the app they shouldn't have to.  The device is merely a means to getting their job done, nothing else.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

• 13. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                                  LyndsayHowarth

I agree here with David. This is consistent iOS behaviour and the Safari example is excellent.

Yes... it should be as simple as possible... but if users can't cope exiting back to FM Go screen... then they probably shouldn't have a job at all because they don't pass the most basic of intelligence tests. Our job is to cater for the LCD of users who can be taught 'close then home'. Our job is not to cater to absolute morons who are unprepared to adapt. I have given Go solutions to 2 yos who do not have any problems with the interface.

The thing is... if you want to put a timeout on the logon, using the home button to exit leaves them in the ideal position for logging back on the next time they open the file...

Sent from my iPad

Lyndsay Howarth

11th Hour Group Pty Ltd

• 14. Re: FM Go Exit Application doesn't exit FM Go
                                    derisco

I really can't believe I only got one worthwhile answer (fmreauthenticate) the rest of these are no help at all. I really don't understand why everybody has to defend FileMaker instead of offering solutions. My job as a developer is to make as easy as possible for the end user, I am sorry if you do not believe that.

1 2 3 Previous Next