3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 10:59 AM by MarkNZ

Number Field Issue

MarkNZ

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why these odd numbers are showing up in my serial number field.. The number changes as per the right sample top - when i click into the field

Regards1.JPG2.JPG

• 1. Re: Number Field Issue
          AlanStirling

Hi Mark

There are two issues to discuss here;

1) This is a number field with some additional text characters entered.  It is best to use a text field for entries which mix Text and Number characters, as otherwise only the numbers will be indexed and you will be unable to search on the whole entry.

2)  When you try to display a long number (held in a numeric field) and if it exceeds a certain length, FileMaker flips to exponential display - which is what you are seeing.  You need to change the number format in the 'Inspector' to 'Display as Entered'.  Then you will see all the characters of the original entry.

But if you set the field as a text field, all your issues will be resolved without further adjustment.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 2. Re: Number Field Issue
            Abingdon

Hi All,

Sparked by this post, here’s an interesting  scenario I just found.  Create three fields.  The first two are number fields, the third is a calculation, the result of multiplying the first two fields together. 

Format all fields as ‘as entered’.  In the first field enter the number  10000000, in the second field enter, 40000000.  

The result will be 4.0e+14. 

Now add the number 1 to the end of the first field so you get the number 100000001.

The result will now display correctly as 4000000040000000. 

Adding any digit other than a zero to the end of the number has this affect.

Formatting the fields as ‘decimal’ and the ‘problem’ does not arise.  Just curious as to why?

Perhaps i should get out more...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Number Field Issue
              MarkNZ

Thanks Alan..& Will now correct..cheers

Tempo Interesting in what you have discovered.. & we probibly all need to get out more.. cheers