4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 4:09 AM by RonSmithMD

FM Server 12 email notifications

ChrisG

Dear fmp gurus

I have been trying to configure FM Server 12 email notifications.

I get the following error: "SMTP test failed: Cannot connect to SMTP server. Check the SMTP settings and email address."

The environment is as follows: FM Server 12, OSX 10.7.5 - Mac mail is working, sending and receiving and the port is 25.

Why do I keep getting this error?

Thank you.

Chris

• 1. Re: FM Server 12 email notifications
          RonSmithMD

Well, you need the host name, an email account and its password also. Then you need to make sure that email host will receive on port 25. Usually that is reserved for mail host to mail host communications. I have my mail server running for some 15 years now and use ports 586 (Mac only), 587, 465 (Eudora used this), and 994 all for sending.

Does that help?

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 2. Re: FM Server 12 email notifications
            ChrisG

Hi Ron, thank you for your response.

I just want FM Server to send me notifications such as errors or when a backup schedule has completed. On my server at home it works but on a customer's server it does not. Mac Mail is setup and one is able to send and receive mails. This tells me that the smtp server is working. The question is then why cant FM Server send me notifications? Each time it tells me that the smtp test failed. There is no firewall, the smtp port is 25.. I have no idea where else to look.

Chris

• 3. Re: FM Server 12 email notifications
              mbraendle

Where is the mail server of the customer configured? On the same box as FMS? Or external at a hosting company?

Often external mail servers (such as Exchange) are configured so that they don't accept unsolicited mails. You should check then with the hosting company.

If the mail server is running on the same box as FMS, make sure that

- the server's IP address is in the SMTP relay settings

- junk mail filtering is turned off (yes, this may be a problem with FMS)

- CRAM-MD5 authentication is configured for SMTP in the advanced settings

- an account has been set up

• 4. Re: FM Server 12 email notifications
                RonSmithMD

Change the port to the one that is for sending with your mail service. I think that would be my first suggestion.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle