AnsweredAssumed Answered

Import unknown number of notes and display with single record

Question asked by strngr12 on Feb 27, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 by strngr12

Hello Everyone,

I have a FMP database where I am tracking assetts from a 3rd party database. Most of the data is contained in fields that have a one-to-one relationship to the assett being tracked - name, size, status, etc...

However, the 3rd party database allows an indefinate number of users to make an indefinate number of notes on any particular assett. While these numbers are not large, there's no hard way of tracking this on a one to one basis as I can with say, assett size. There could be 3 users who each made five notes, there could be 6 users who each made two notes or there could be 4 users, one of whom made two notes, one who made three and two of whom made six notes.

The database can export this info as a .csv with a column for the user and the note and some other infor about the note. Each note is a separate row so if Jow Schmo made three notes, there will be three separate rows each with the value Joe Schmo, the individual note, etc... Like so:

name, note

Joe, this is a note

Joe, this is another note

Joe, this is yet another note

I'd like to creat a separate table for these notes that tie back to the individual record that the item resides in. For example:

Table 1:

field: Item 1

field: size

field: description

---> table 2:

Note 1

field: name

field: note

Note 2

field: item 2

field: size

field: description

--> table 2:

Note 1

Etc...

Keeping in mind that there is no way to know before hand how many notes by how many users. This is why I would need an indeterminate amount of records in table 2 to be associated with a single record in table 1. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Dan

Outcomes