1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 8:36 AM by rwvanleer

Invoice solution with a list of products with many options

eagles56

Can anyone tell me whether any invoice solutions have been created with filemaker pro handling products lists with many options?

Prices differ with qty as well.

thanks

• 1. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
          LyndsayHowarth

There are many such solutions out there... I have built many myself.

Products like clothing often have a standard range of colour, size and perhaps style.

Products such as computers will have options such as memory and hard disks and accessories.

Other products such as shelving systems will have companion products eg. for each shelf there might need to be 18 screws and 4 glass panels.

The issue, eagles56, is whether the system you are looking for... that specifically suits your purpose has been built and is available...

You will need to tell us more about your requirements to answer that.

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
            eagles56

Thanks for you reply Lynsay.

Actually I'm dealing with Gift and Premium products like Lanyards and Key chains. All the products are unique and have many different options which are not similar from one product to the other as you can see on the pix attached. Prices are related to the qty increase as well.

i have just comleted John Mark Osborne's tutorials on VTC but I can see no direction to how to design it with filemaker and have it integrated on the Invoice portal.

Any help would be very much appreciated

gift and premium products_1.jpg

Alex - Bangkok

• 3. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
              eagles56

It would very cool if anyone can point me out to some "already made solutions" or codes for that matter. It appears as if code for filemaker is impossible to find. I haven't had this kind of problems with other language like php for example!!

Thanks anyway

• 4. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                oldal41

Can you send me a better photo I can't get a complete picture of your problem, but may be able to with a better starting point.

oldal

• 5. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                  eagles56

Thanks for your message Olda.

Please find herewith attached some of the products I'm dealing with. It's french writing but you'll get the idea. Prices are related to customers and each product has his own set of options. When quoting or invoicing I need to find the product and his options in a snap of second.Quotes needs to be transformed into invoices if the customers deal with us.

Thanks for your reply

alex decasi

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:20:14 -0800

To: eagles56@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options

created by oldal41 in FileMaker Product Management Q&A Topic Suggestions - View the full discussion

Can you send me a better photo I can't get a complete picture of your problem, but may be able to with a better starting point. oldal

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in FileMaker Product Management Q&A Topic Suggestions by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2013 • San Diego, California • August 12-15 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 6. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                    oldal41

Help!

No attachments

Sent from my iPad

• 7. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                      eagles56

Olda, I can see it on my ipad down the page on this discussion thread as specialinquiry.zip . Do you have an email address to which I can forward it to you?

Txs

• 8. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                        taylorsharpe

Invoices is one table.  A related table will be the Invoice Transactions.  Each Transaction will probably pull from some Inventory table that has a full description of the item.  You will have a related Rolodex or Client table.  And then there will be a table for pricing based on who the client is and the volume purchased per item or other such discount arrangements.  While most of these have similarities, the main reason for using FileMaker is the ability to customize the database to the clients needs. 

You might want to check out the "Made for FileMaker" solutions at http://solutions.filemaker.com/made-for-filemaker/ 

Or you can look up a FM developer in your area if you want some help locally:  http://developer.filemaker.com/search/

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                          oldal41

Hi

See attached DF and Excel files.

oldal

• 10. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                            oldal41

Something like the attached is what I wouls do.

Invoicing Option.png

• 11. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                              eagles56

Thank you very much for your insight and time Oldal.

if I understand you well you've created as much as product_ids as there are products and options. right? when a product is combined with 2 or 3 options the product_id creation is exponentiel.

This is what I've tried to do at the beginning but it's a cumbersome task as I have to deal with 100 products of which each of them has their own options.

Besides prices varies with quantities as shown below:

Case(

500≤quantity and quantity<1000; PRODUCTS::price1;

1000≤quantity and quantity<2500; PRODUCTS::price2;

2500≤quantity and quantity<5000;  PRODUCTS::price3;

5000≤quantity and quantity<10000;  PRODUCTS::price4;

quantity>10000;  PRODUCTS::price5

)

I'm a newbie in Filemaker. It's difficult to see the real logic behind it.

alex

• 12. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                                oldal41

Maybe the attached Invoice will give a better picture.Sample Invoice.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                                  oldal41

Let us know what solution you used.  Thank you.

• 14. Re: Invoice solution with a list of products with many options
                                    eagles56

I've followed your recommendation regarding the structure of the tables Invoices -> LineItems <- Products

Options are entered in the Products table independently to their product they are attached to.

I've added a category field on each Product records which I filter out on the Invoice portal using a Products_Occurence table linked to Invoices table.

A popup list on the Invoice layout allows a product "xyz" to be chosen along with all his options related to that category.

The price field on the Invoice portal is a calculation field which pulls the data from the Products table related to the quantity as I mentioned above case(...)

In your example above:

Is product_id's for Option 1 Option #1.1 etc... entered in the product table? How do you make them appear in the column1 in the layout?

Thank you

1 2 Previous Next