9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 3:41 AM by Petra

Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format

rajibban

Hi All,

Please help.

Issue: From FM 12 , when the dialogue box appearing to export the file, we selected a file name as Test and file Type as .xlsx or .xls . Exported file is getting saved with '.tab' format.

Our Environment:

1.Files are hosted in Windows 2008 x64 bit Server with 8 GB RAM. We did clean installation of FileMaker Server v12.03. We are not using any kind of publishing. In this Windows 2008 system, we do NOT have MS Office 2010.

2. We are using Citrix Metaframe as Middle Ware in our environment. In the Citrix Machine - it is also Windows 2008 Server. We did clean installation of FM Pro 12. In this system also, we did not , Install MS Office 2010 too.

3. We are connecting to our files , thru citrix from our local system (win 7 OS). i.e. Files are running Citrix machine and the citrix deskto is shared to us.

THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH FILES OR ITS FUNCTIONALITY.

ONLY PROBLEM ( i.e. GHOST issue ) ... When we are saving records ( thru script (one step only) : Export Record; no dialogue), we are giving a name and then selecting file type as ".xlsx" or".xls".

Suprisingly, it is saving file as ".tab" format only.

Please Note: For other file format , like .csv/ .mer/.tab/.html etc. we do NOT see any issue.

What could be the issue?

Is is because, we didn't install MS Office ( Excel), in Citrix machine (where the application running or the file is openning) ??

Most interesting is : When we are giveing a name and file type selecting as ".xlsx" or".xls", and waiting for more than 30 seconds before clicking on Save button, the exported file is saving with correct format.

Another issu we observed, even after waiting 30 seconds and getting file with correct format (i.e. excel format), it is not opening autometically (though we selected "open autometically" options during export.

Is this because , we have not MS Excel in Citrix Machine?

Last question - Can we make .xlsx or .xls default file type , in the list , for always, when Export dialogue will open?? currently .tab is default.

Appreciate your any help.... we need to address this issue ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Rajib

• 1. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
          LyndsayHowarth

Hi Rajib,

I don't speak for the others you also contacted privately, but I personally do not wish to answer such questions privately unless you are prepared to pay for the advise. I would suggest you post this question publically so that everyone can benefit.

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
            tech_liaison

Hi Rajib: Lyndsay is correct, your question will get much more attention and help if you post it publicly rather than privately. I'm moving it to a public forum for you. Since your problem is related to a scripted process, I'm moving your discussion to the Scripting and Calculations forum.

Best,

Dave

• 3. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
              pmconaway

Rajib, in the export records script step there is the option to 'specify output file' there is an option in a drop down list to specify file type. It defaults to a .tab file. I have found that regardless of what you name the file it seems to be formated as the file extension that is chosen. Your message above doesn't say exactly if you changed this drop down to .xls or .xlsx If you haven't changed it you might want to try that.

Paul

• 4. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
                Stephen Huston

...and when saving to the .xls/.xlsx options, chose to name it with .xslx (unless you are relying on a really old version of Excel for viewing the results). Recent Excel versions must convert .xls to .xlsx when opening the file.xls on some systems anyway.

• 5. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
                  rajibban

Thanks Dave. I am very new to this network. However I am working Filemaker , since 2005. Thanks for moving this post publicly.

The strange part is I never faced this issue. As I already said, we are using "Windows 2008 (FileMaker Server 12) --- Citrix ( in Windows 2008, FileMaker Pro 12 client installed) -- Citrix Client ( to login and access application)" architecture.  We have users across globe. Thats the reason, we are using Citrix Layer to restrict user , to directly fetch the file from server and as well as restricting number licenses ( 200 license Vs. 4000 User).

We do not have any issue with architecture or accessing file or FileMaker functionality .

Now what is happening ...

I opened my application..then I clicked on Export Button ( we created this button and has simple step as 'Export Records; no dialogue'). When Filemaker default export dialogue opened, we enter a filename and then selected location to be saved and also selecting ".xlsx" as file type and clicked on "Save" button.

If we wait fo more than 15 seconds only after selecting file type as ".xlsx", then the file is saving correctly i.e. in .xlsx format.

If our approach is something like  - Chose the location first , then give a file name and then select File Type as ".xlsx" and click on "Save " button (without waiting more than 15 seconds), it is saving as ".tab" format only.

My experinces says, excel format is not native to Windows or FileMaker..other formats are native to windows , like .tab/ .csv / .mer etc. During saving of Excel format report (i.e. when we do select file type as ".xlsx") filemaker loads a converter. And this loading time is ~15 sec. So if we do the selection of File Type as a last step during export and click before 15 sec, it is taking the default file type of Filemaker i.e. ".tab".

What do you say?

I just need to know 2 things..

1. When FileMaker save a file in excel format, does it look for any Excel component / dll/ converter/ listener, from the system where FileMaker Client is actually running? In our case, Filemaker Client is installed in different box (where citrix is loaded and windos 2008 server) and in that system MS Office is not installed?

2. OR When FileMaker save a file in excel format, does it look/load for any Excel component / dll/ converter/ listener, from internet?

3. When Export Dialogue box open in FileMaker, default file type shows as ".tab". Is there way to change it?

Note: I know there is another way, to export records in excel (script step is there), but I don't want to use that, as it doesn't allow you to set your preferences of fields to be exported.

Thanks in Advance.

Rajib

• 6. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
                    rajibban

Thanks Lyndsay. I am very new to this network. However I am working Filemaker , since 2005. Dave already move the question to public.

Rajib

• 7. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
                      rajibban

Hi All. I am very new to this network. So initially my post was as private message. However I am working Filemaker , since 2005.

The strange part is I never faced this issue. As I already said, we are using "Windows 2008 (FileMaker Server 12) --- Citrix ( in Windows 2008, FileMaker Pro 12 client installed) -- Citrix Client ( to login and access application)" architecture. We have users across globe. Thats the reason, we are using Citrix Layer to restrict user , to directly fetch the file from server and as well as restricting number licenses ( 200 license Vs. 4000 User).

We do not have any issue with architecture or accessing file or FileMaker functionality .

Now what is happening ...

I opened my application..then I clicked on Export Button ( we created this button and has simple step as 'Export Records; no dialogue'). When Filemaker default export dialogue opened, we enter a filename and then selected location to be saved and also selecting ".xlsx" as file type and clicked on "Save" button.

If we wait fo more than 15 seconds only after selecting file type as ".xlsx", then the file is saving correctly i.e. in .xlsx format.

If our approach is something like - Chose the location first , then give a file name and then select File Type as ".xlsx" and click on "Save " button (without waiting more than 15 seconds), it is saving as ".tab" format only.

My experinces says, excel format is not native to Windows or FileMaker..other formats are native to windows , like .tab/ .csv / .mer etc. During saving of Excel format report (i.e. when we do select file type as ".xlsx") filemaker loads a converter. And this loading time is ~15 sec. So if we do the selection of File Type as a last step during export and click before 15 sec, it is taking the default file type of Filemaker i.e. ".tab".

What do you say?

I just need to know 2 things..

1. When FileMaker save a file in excel format, does it look for any Excel component / dll/ converter/ listener, from the system where FileMaker Client is actually running? In our case, Filemaker Client is installed in different box (where citrix is loaded and windos 2008 server) and in that system MS Office is not installed?

2. OR When FileMaker save a file in excel format, does it look/load for any Excel component / dll/ converter/ listener, from internet?

3. When Export Dialogue box open in FileMaker, default file type shows as ".tab". Is there way to change it?

Note: I know there is another way, to export records in excel (script step is there), but I don't want to use that, as it doesn't allow you to set your preferences of fields to be exported.

Thanks in Advance.

Rajib

• 8. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
                        LyndsayHowarth

Hi Rajib,

What Paul and Stephen have said is correct.

As far as I know you should not require MS Office to be installed to save to any format.

The important thing is that you get your extension right.

DOCX  XLSX documents cannot be opened in old versions of Word or Excel.

DOC XLS documents can.... as well as new versions of MS Office.

If you did save a TAB document but gave it a DOC extension, It would open in MS Word and if you gave it an XLS extension it would open in MS Excel.... but you would be forced to resave them as MS documents.

The very first dialog... where you name the export.... has a popup lower down for choosing export type. If you choose Export every time from the File menu, it will always default to TAB...

BUT if you save the export in a script, you can save and reuse the features of the export you wish to keep. This includes the file type.

I hope this helps.

- Lyndsay

PS: The script Step you need to use is "Export Records...". Carefully go thru the dialog and you will see where it allows you to set things like the name of the file and the type then the next dialog allows you to choose which fields get exported in which order. You have to move the ones you want from the list on the left to the list on the right. Once you click ok and save the script your export is saved for another use. You can go back an tweak it if it is not quite right and you don't have to set the whole thing up again. Other bits of your script might go to this layout and find certain records and sort the records then export them.....

PPS: your script can of course be attached to a button on the layout so it is easy to get to... ;-)

• 9. Re: Need help ! FM 12 Export Problem in Excel Format
                          Petra

Hi Rajib,

I know, it wouldn't help, but I can confirm the issue you have with that 'Export records....' step. One of my customers is  using FileMaker 12 (v3) in a Windows Server 2008 environment with Citrix XenApp v6

The problem is just the same as you described: opening the 'Export records..." Dialog, selecting file type xls or xlsx, entering a name etc. and finally the saved file is a '.tab' file. If they do exactly the same with a local FileMaker client, the file ends up to be stored in the selected format. In both cases client OS is good old XP. That will change next year.

I haven't tried if FileMaker 12v4 makes any difference or Windows 7 or 8. It's also not a big problem as the file still can be opened with Excel. Just one of these annoying issues.

regards

Petra