6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 12:10 PM by RichardBurton

New Window menu item stops working for client

RichardBurton

Hello everyone,

I have a FM12 solution running on the client's server with 8 or so users. I do have a custom menu for the solution, but just to block out commands like "Delete All". I think the Window menu is not modifiable.

Then problem is that the ability to open a new window stopped working. It was once. I tried looking at permissions and custom menu when this happen once before. I solved it once, and it was something simple as I remember with nothing to do with permissions or custom menus. But for the life of me, I can't remember what it was.

Has anyone had this experience and remeber how they fixed it. It seems like such a fiundalmental thing. I have never tried to block opening a new window as far as I can recall. How would you do that? Maybe I have done it accidentally.

Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

Richard Burton

415-626-2620

• 1. Re: New Window menu item stops working for client
          Stephen Huston

The Windows menu can be disabled and replaced with a new custom menu in the menu set, and it might still look the same, assuming one placed similar commands in it. However, that doesn't sound like what you've planned from your description.

Is there any layout-based script trigger which may be running on a timer or otherwise interfering with user window controls?

• 2. Re: New Window menu item stops working for client
            LabsRock

Hi Richard,

When you say you can't open a new window, do you mean through a script or using the menu?  Is this happening for all users?  Are you running on a Windows, Mac, or mixed environment?

Craig

• 3. Re: New Window menu item stops working for client
              RichardBurton

Sorry I wasn't clear. They are all on Mac, and just going to the menu and choosing the "New Menu" command. All users.

• 4. Re: New Window menu item stops working for client
                Stephen Huston
                • Is the original window maximized? Is it possible a new window simply looks  like  the old one, and is also maximized?
                • No layout-based script triggers?
                • No on-timer scripts running in the background?

Triggered scripts can conflict with some user interactions, especially on-timer scripts which run frequently.

• 5. Re: New Window menu item stops working for client
                  LabsRock

Hi Richard,

Stephen lists some good things to check.  If a script is running and paused with "Allow User Abort" off, that could prevent the user from doing anything.  Hit the Enter key and see if anything happens, if you're paused in a script and can't see the Continue button this will usually get things moving again or give you an error message.

Is the "New Window" menu item active or is it "greyed" out?  If you do have a custom menu on the layout you should try changing back to the default FileMaker Menu and see if a new window can be opened.

Sorry I can't offer more, but I'm a little stumped - which probably means it will be something really obvious when you do find it.

Craig

• 6. Re: New Window menu item stops working for client
                    RichardBurton

Thank you all for your suggetions.

There is no custom menu for "Windows" and no scripts are running in the backgroud. The owner is the one reporting the problem, and I thought it was all users in my mind, but did not confirm that. I relogged in last night late as her to see if I got the same behavior once again, but the ability to open a new window was there. I reloged in as myself again. Today she says she can create a new window.

What effect could happen by my logging in as her and logging back in as me that could have fixed the problem? Since this happened once before, I'm beginning to believe that I am affecting her somehow if I log in with her credentials and privilege set. This is still a puzzle for me and I will do some more testing and report back here. Thanks again for your suggestions.